Vivid Sydney in Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo, Mosman
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Last entry
- Lights off
Celebrating its 10th anniversary Vivid Sydney returns to light up Sydney’s iconic Taronga Zoo from 5:30pm to 9:30pm for 23 consecutive nights.
There will be 3 ticketed sessions this year allowing more visitors to enjoy the Vivid lights at the Zoo.
To see Vivid Sydney at Taronga Zoo precinct you must have a pre-purchased event ticket.Tickets are limited each evening, so make sure to book ahead.
Plenty of additional public transport services will run during the busier nights to help you get to and from the Zoo, so leave the car at home as parking is limited and is likely to fill early.
Vivid Sydney will also light up the Sydney CBD and Chatswood, for information on transport to these precincts, visit the event pages:
Stay connected and get real-time updates on transport services, event precinct capacities and road closures online:
- Event updates: follow the hashtag #VividSydney and @VividSydney
- Transport updates: follow @BusesInfo, @FerriesInfo and @TrainsInfo
- Road closures and traffic: follow @LiveTrafficSyd and Live Traffic NSW Facebook page.
The best stations for connections to Taronga Zoo are Circular Quay (weeknights nights only) where you can change for a ferry to the Zoo or Wynyard, North Sydney and Chatswood Stations where you can change for a bus to the Zoo. Trains to these stations run frequently on weekdays and every 10 to 15 minutes on weekends.
NOTE: On Saturday nights and the long weekend, trains will not stop at Circular Quay Station between 18:00 and 23:00 due to the large crowds in the highly popular precinct. Alight the train at nearby Wynyard or Martin Place instead.
Additional late night NSW TrainLink intercity services will run to help get you home on weekends and some services will be increased from 4 to 8 carriages.
You can find all the details of extra services in the Trip Planner.
Trackwork is taking place during Vivid Sydney and may affect how you travel.
Extra rail replacement buses will be on standby during weekends to help visitors get to and from Vivid Sydney events.
From 02:00 Saturday 9 until 02:00 Tuesday 12 June (long weekend):
- T1 North Shore Line: buses replace trains between Berowra and Hornsby
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: buses replace trains between Central and Newcastle Interchange.
- Hunter Line: buses replace trains between Scone, Dungog, Telarah and Newcastle Interchange.
From 02:00 Sunday 10 until 02:00 Tuesday 12 June (long weekend):
- T1 Northern Line: buses replace trains between Hornsby and Strathfield via Eastwood and between Epping and Macquarie Park.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel to and from events. For the latest information, check trackwork service updates or use the Trip Planner.
Catch a route M30 or 247 bus directly to the Zoo or catch one of the many bus services that run to Spit Junction in Mosman where you can change for a bus to the Taronga Zoo top gate leaving from Military Rd at Spit Junction.
A number of bus routes run towards Mosman leaving from Wynyard, North Sydney and Chatswood train stations. Plan ahead and use the Trip Planner to find a service near you. B-Line services run every 10 minutes at stop at Spit Junction.
On Fridays and weekends additional buses will run to get you to and from the Zoo:
- Between Spit Junction and the Zoo: route 247 buses between the Spit Junction and Taronga Zoo will run every 10 to 15 minutes from 17:00 until 22:00
- Between Taronga Zoo Wharf and the Zoo: If you're coming by ferry, shuttle buses (route 238) between Taronga Zoo Wharf and Taronga Zoo top gate entrance will run every 5 minutes from 17:00 until 22:00.
On Monday to Thursday nights, services will run to a regular weekday timetable.
Don't forget to top up your Opal card ahead of time and remember to tap on and off when using bus services.
F2 Taronga Zoo ferries will be in very high demand during Vivid Sydney, especially on Friday nights and on the weekends. Ticketholders are encouraged to consider the train and bus options as well.
Additional ferries will run each night to and from the Zoo.
- On weekdays:
- Ferries to the Zoo leave from Wharf 4 at Circular Quay every 30 minutes. Services between 17:15 and 18:45 will make stops at Cremorne Point and Mosman Bay as well. Additional services will run to the Zoo at 19:20, 19:50, 20:20 and the last service at 20:50.
- Ferries to Circular Quay leave the Zoo every 30 minutes until 17:12. Additional services will run at 19:35, 20:05, 20:35, 21:05, 21:15, 21:30, 21:45 and the last service back to the Quay leaves at 22:00.
- On weekends:
- Ferries to the Zoo leave from Wharf 4 at Circular Quay every 20 to 30 minutes with additional services leaving at 19:20, 19:50, 20:20 and the last service at 20:50.
- Ferries to Circular Quay leave the Zoo every 30 minutes with additional services leaving at 19:35, 20:05, 20:35, 21:05, 21:15, 21:30, 21:45 and the last service back to the Quay leaves at 22:00.
Due to the high demand, customers will be required to exit the ferry once they reach their destination. You will not be able to stay on the ferry and take the return trip. This is to make sure that everyone gets the chance to access ferry services.
To find out when your last ferry service will run, use the Trip Planner.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations. The best stop for connections to services to get you to the Zoo is Central.
Additional services will run during Vivid Sydney from 19:00 on Friday nights and from 09:00 on the weekends with services running every 10 to 12 minutes until midnight.
For maps and service frequencies see Light rail service information.
Delays are expected on roads approaching the Zoo including Military Road and Spit Road, particularly on weekends.
If you have to drive allow plenty of extra travel time and carpool where possible.
Paid parking is available at Taronga Zoo. Entry to the car park is from Bradleys Head Road. The car park day rate is $18.
Visitors are advised that parking spaces are limited and will fill quickly especially on Friday nights and weekends so consider the public transport options and leave the car at home.
See Parking at the Zoo for more information on rates and operating hours.
Special event clearways
Special event clearways will be in place around Taronga Zoo on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during Vivid Sydney:
- From 17:00 until 22:00 on sections of Athol Wharf Road and Bradleys Head Road (both sides).
Special event clearways are strict no parking zones even for local residents or RMS Mobility Scheme Parking Permit holders. Check signs carefully as vehicles left in clearways will be towed and a fee applies.
If your vehicle is towed you can call the Traffic Information Line on 132 701 to find its new location.
Volunteers working at Vivid Sydney 2018 are entitled to free travel on public transport for the duration of the event by showing their 'Volunteers Free Travel Pass' to transport staff when boarding services.
Travel is covered on the following transport services from Friday 25 May through until 04:00 on Sunday 17 June 2018:
- Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity services (bounded by Bomaderry, Goulburn, Bathurst, Scone and Dungog stations).
- Buses (Sydney metro services and NightRide)
- Sydney Ferries
- Sydney Light Rail
Note: an additional station access fee applies for travel to or from Domestic and International Airport stations. Your event ticket does not include the access fee, so if you're travelling from these stations you'll need to pay the train station access fee.
Taronga Zoo is a widely accessible precinct. For details, visit Taronga Zoo Facilities and Accessibility.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).