Hyde Park, Sydney CBD to Bondi Beach
- Elite wheelchair start
- Runners start from
- All events finish
Important event information
Extensive road closures and special event clearway parking restrictions will be in place between the city and Bondi from 6am. Participants are urged to leave the car at home and let public transport run you to the start line at Hyde Park and collect you from the finish line at Bondi Beach. Travel on public transport is included for participants and volunteers. Frequent shuttle buses will run between Bondi Beach and Bondi Junction to help get you home.
Check the CITY2SURF INTERACTIVE MAP for a comprehensive list of road closures, special event clearways and access points and times.
Stay connected and get real-time updates on the event, transport services, traffic and road closures:
- Event updates follow @CityRunSeries.
- Transport updates: follow @BusesInfo, @FerriesInfo and @TrainsInfo
- Road closures and traffic: follow @LiveTrafficSyd and Live Traffic NSW Facebook page.
City2Surf 2018 event participants and volunteers are entitled to return travel on:
- Train services (bounded by Bomaderry, Goulburn, Bathurst, Scone and Dungog stations)
- Regular bus services
- Special event shuttle bus services
- Ferry services
- Light Rail services
Remember to keep your race bib, finishers medal or volunteer t shirt safe for your return journey home, as these are also your ticket to travel on public transport. Your entitlement is valid on public transport services until 04:00 the next day.
Note: an additional station access fee applies for travel to or from Domestic and International Airport stations. Your event match does not include the access fee, so if you're travelling from these stations you'll need to pay the train station access fee.
The City2Surf expo will be held at the International Convention Centre at Darling Harbour. All City2Surf participants must collect their race bib prior to the race on Sunday 12 August.
The CITYFIT expo will run:
- Thursday 9 August from 13:00 to 19:00
- Friday 10 August from 07:30 to 18:30
- Saturday 11 August from 08:00 to 16:00
Visit City2Surf/expo for more information.
The closest stations to the start line at Hyde Park on College Street are Town Hall, St James, Museum and Martin Place. Trains run regularly to these stations on the City Circle Line.
Trains will run to a Sunday timetable with additional services scheduled on selected lines to maintain a frequent service between 06:00 and 08:00.
After the race, catch one of the frequent special event bus services leaving from Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach to Bondi Junction Train Station where you can change for a Sydney Trains service to continue your journey home.
Alternatively, if your legs are still feeling fresh, Bondi Junction Station is around a 40 minute (2.9km) walk from Bondi Beach.
From 10:00 to 16:00, trains will run approximately every 5 minutes on the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line between Bondi Junction, Central, Hurstville, Cronulla and Waterfall stations.
Once you're on the train from Bondi Junction, change at the following stations for easier access to your train line:
- For T1 North Shore and Northern via Epping Chatswood Rail Line trains,change at Town Hall.
- For T1 Northern via Strathfield and Western and Intercity Trains, change at Central.
- For T8 Airport & South Line, change at Wolli Creek.
- For T2 Inner West & Leppington Line trains, change at Redfern
- For T3 Bankstown Line trains, change at Sydenham.
Trackwork is scheduled on the T2 Inner West & Leppington Line and buses will replace trains between Cabramatta and Granville. Services will run frequently to the city from Cabramatta via Bankstown and to the city from Granville on the T1 Western Line.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel so allow plenty of extra travel time and plan ahead. Check travel alerts and trackwork or use the Trip Planner.
Additional early morning services will on major corridors to the Sydney CBD to get you to the start line.
For anyone travelling from the Eastern Suburbs, shuttle buses will run to St James Station from Campbell Parade, Bondi Beach between 06:00 and 08:30.
Event shuttle buses:
After the race, shuttle buses will run frequently between Bondi Beach and Bondi Junction from 09:00 until 16:00.
From Bondi Junction change for one of the many train or regular route bus services to continue your journey home.
Services through the Sydney CBD and Eastern Suburbs will be diverting, terminating early and/or using alternate stops while roads are closed for the event. Delays are expected particularly on the way home as roads may still be closed.
- Some services will terminate early in both directions when road closures commence between 03:30 and 14:00 on Routes 324, 325, 326, 327.
- Bus diversions will affect services in the CBD between 03:30 and midday on Routes M40,311, 328, 441, 461 and 504, 506
- Bus diversions will affect services in the Eastern Suburbs between 06:00 and 16:00 on Routes 331, 333, 360, 361, 379, 386 and 387
- Other Sydney Bus services will run to a regular Sunday timetable. For service disruption information check travel alerts and use the Trip Planner to plan your event day.
Hillsbus will run extra early morning services on routes M61, 607X and 610X to the Sydney CBD. Check the Hillsbus page for more information. For service disruption information check travel alerts or use the Trip Planner. More details will be available closer to the event date
Forest Coach Lines
Forest Coach Lines will run additional early morning services to the Sydney CBD. More details will be available closer to the event date.
Additional services will run on the F1 Manly Ferry service to Circular Quay at 06:15 and 06:50 to help get you to the start line.
The start line near Hyde Park is a short walk away. Sydney Ferries services are very popular and may reach capacity, especially on Sundays, so plan ahead, allow extra travel time and consider the alternative public transport options available.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations. Change at Central for connections to the start line near St James Station/Hyde Park. For maps and service frequencies see light rail service information.
Major roads along and surrounding the 14km course from the Sydney CBD to Bondi Beach will be closed:
- Sydney CBD - 03:30 to 11:00: sections of College St, Macquarie St, Park St and St James Rd.
- Woolloomooloo to Edgecliff - 06:00 to 12 midday: William St at Yurong St through to New South Head Rd at Ocean Ave.
- Double Bay to Rose Bay - 07:00 to 13:00: New South Head Rd
- Rose Bay to North Bondi - 07:00 to 14:00: New South Head Rd, Old South Head Rd and Military Rd.
- Bondi Beach - 06:00 to 16:00: sections of Campbell Pde, Curlewis St,Queen Elizabeth Dr, Lamrock Ave and other local roads.
Vehicles may cross the course along New South Head Rd and Old South Head Rd at designated crossover points until 07:00/07:30 at Darling Point, Edgecliff, Double Bay, Vaucluse, Watsons Bay and Bondi. After these times, no access is permitted until roads have reopened. Note: the Victoria St/Darlinghurst Rd crossover remains open throughout event.
The Eastern Distributor Kings Cross exit and Palmer St off-ramp will be closed from 06:00 to 12 midday. The Cross City Tunnel eastbound, will be closed and westbound access is only available via McLachlan Ave at Craigend St at Darlinghurst from 06:00 to 12 midday.
Heavy traffic is expected while roads are closed, so leave the car at home and catch public transport.
Special Event Clearways
Special event clearways will also be in place throughout the entire 14km race course from the Sydney CBD to Bondi Beach between 01:00 and 16:00. Special event clearways are 'no parking' zones even for residents and RMS Mobility Scheme Permit Holders.
Check signs carefully before parking as vehicles left in special event clearways will be towed and a towing fee applies.
Delays are expected for taxis getting to and from Bondi Beach for the return journey home so consider delaying your trip home or catch public transport.
For details of taxi networks servicing the Sydney area visit NSW Taxi Council.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).