Australia Day 2019 in Sydney
Circular Quay, The Rocks, Darling Harbour & Milsons Point
- OzDay 10k wheelchair race
- Ferrython and Harbour events
- Australia Day Live!
- Fireworks at Circular Quay
Important event information
There are plenty of ways to celebrate Australia Day and the best way to get to events in and around the city is by public transport. Large crowds of more than 60,000 people are expected to attend Australia Day events and the fireworks display at Circular Quay in the evening. Trains, buses and light rail services will run frequently. Anyone planning to catch a ferry is reminded that various events on the harbour will impact services throughout the day and some delays are expected - consider the alternate transport options.
Get real-time updates on transport services, viewing area capacities and road closures online by following these social media handles:
- Event updates: follow the hashtag #AusDaySyd, @AustraliaDay on Twitter and @AustraliaDay26 on Facebook.
- Transport updates: follow @BusesInfo, @FerriesInfo and @TrainsInfo
- Road closures and traffic: follow @LiveTrafficSyd
There are plenty of ways to celebrate Australia Day with events and festivities on throughout the day at various locations in and around the city. The annual fireworks display will be held in Circular Quay again this year as part of a free, public event Australia Day Live!. The show will be live broadcasted by ABC and can also be viewed via screens in the Harbour at Campbell's Cove on the western side of Circular Quay. There are no fireworks on the Sydney Harbour Bridge or outside Circular Quay, so arrive early to secure a good viewing spot. The best vantage point for the show is at The Rocks and along the western side of Circular Quay.
Sydney CBD, Circular Quay and The Rocks
- WugulOra morning ceremony at Barangaroo from 7.45am to 8.30am
- GIO Oz Day 10k Wheelchair race from 9am to 10.30am
- Ferrython and various harbour events from 10.45am to 1.30pm
- Sydney Street Party in the Rocks from 9am to 6pm
- Chill Out Zone at the OPT, Circular Quay West from 10am to 4pm
- Australia Day Live! concert at the forecourt of the Sydney Opera House from 6.30pm to 9.30pm
- Final Fireworks display in Circular Quay from 9pm
- Wiggles concert at Tumbalong Park from 11am to 12pm
- Children's Festival at Tumbalong Park from 11am to 3pm
- Afternoon Summer Sessions at Tumbalong Park from 3pm to 8pm
- BBQ By the Bridge at Milsons Point from 10am to 4pm
- Yabun festival at Victoria Park from 10am to 7pm
Trains to the city run approximately every 5 minutes on the City Circle Line and every 10 to 15 minutes on most other lines.
Australia Day event precincts are within short walking distance of train stations including:
- Town Hall or Central for events at Darling Harbour.
- Wynyard or Martin Place for events at Circular Quay and The Rocks.
- Milsons Point for events at Bradfield Park.
Trains on the City Circle Line run every 5 minutes and every 10 to 15 minutes on most other lines. Additional services will also run on the following lines to help you get home from the evening events.
Please note, after the evening events and fireworks finale display in Circular Quay, attendees are encouraged to avoid the crowds and head towards Wynyard, Martin Place or Town Hall stations to catch a train home. Services will run from Circular Quay however due to the large crowds heading home at the same time services are expected to be very busy.
T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line:
- Services between Central and Bondi Junction will run every 10 minutes from 9.30pm until 12:30am. Catch a train towards Bondi from Martin Place.
- An additional service to Mortdale will leave Martin Place at 23:07, stopping at all stations to Mortdale.
T2 Inner West Line:
- Additional services to Newtown and Ashfield will leave Circular Quay from 9pm until 11pm, stopping at Wynyard, Town Hall, Central, Redfern, Newtown and Ashfield.
NSW TrainLink services:
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: services will be built up to 8-cars between 8am and 8pm.
- Blue Mountains Line: most services will be built up to 8-cars between 8am and 8pm.
- South Coast Line: services leaving Kiama for Sydney at 05:57, 06:59 and 09:56 will be built up to 8-cars. Services leaving Central for Kiama at 14:29, 15:29 and 16:29 will be built up to 8-cars.
Additional services to and from the city
Additional services will run on key bus routes to the city from the Northern Beaches, Inner West and Eastern Suburbs including Routes B1, 170, 301, 309, 324, 333, 339, 343, 353, 372, 373, 374, 377, 379, 380, 392, 394, 396, 423, 431, 438, 470 and 461.
Extra Route 170 services will run between Manly Wharf and Wynyard while the F1 Manly ferries are unable to run due exclusion zones on the harbour.
- From 10am to 12pm services run every 30 minutes.
- From 12pm to 3.30pm services run every 15 minutes.
- From 4pm to 6pm services run every 30 minutes.
- From 6pm services run every 10 to 15 minutes. From Manly last service leaves at 9.15pm, from Wynyard last service leaves at 10.07pm.
Sydney CBD services changes:
- From 6.30am to 11am routes 311, 324 and 325 will be unable to continue to Walsh Bay due to road closures for the GIO Oz Day 10k wheelchair race. Services will instead drop off at Park St, Hyde Park and pick up from York St, Stand A.
- From 3pm to midnight services that usually travel via the Cahill Expressway and stop near Bridge St will be relocated to Wynyard:
- Routes 202, 207, 208 and 263 will drop off and pick up on York St instead of Bridge St while roads are closed.
- From 3pm to midnight services that usually run to Circular Quay will be relocated to use alternate stops on Elizabeth St at Martin Place:
- Routes 304, 339, 343, 373, 374, 377, 333, 392, 394, L94, 396, 397 and 399 will drop off at Stand C and pick up from Stand F.
- Routes M52, 500, 507, 515, 518 and 520 will drop off and pick up from Stand E.
See the Australia Day Transport Getting Home map (pdf 132KB)for the alternate bus stop locations.
Milsons Point bus service changes:
- From 7am to 10pm, route 230 services will terminate and pick up from North Sydney Station due to closures on Olympic Drive. Customers wishing to access Milsons Point will need to change for a train at North Sydney to continue their trip.
Additional Hillsbus will run to the city throughout the day and after midnight to help you get to and from the celebrations.
To the city:
- Route 607X - Rouse Hill to QVB: services will run every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the day.
- Route 610 - Rouse Hill via Castle Hill to QVB: services run every hour
- Route 610X - Rouse Hill to QVB via Lane Cove Tunnel: express 610X services will run approximately every half an hour from 8am.
- Route 620X - Dural via Cherrybrook to Kent St, Sydney CBD: special 620X services will run every hour from 7:55 until 11:55. Return services will also run every hour from 8:20pm until 11:20pm.
- Route M61 - Castle Hill (Metrobus) to QVB: services will run every 10 minutes throughout the day.
Return to the Hills District from the city:
- Route 607X - to Rouse Hill: services will run every 30 minutes from midnight until 3am.
- Route 610 - to Rouse Hill via Castle Hill: services run every hour
- Route 610X - to Rouse Hill via Town Centre: express 610X services will run approximately every half an hour until 12.40am and then every hour until 2am.
- Route 620X - from Kent St, to Dural via Cherrybrook: services will run every hour from 8:20pm until 11:20pm.
- Route M61 - to Castle Hill (Metrobus) to QVB: services will run every 10 to 20 minutes until midnight then every hour until 3am.
Forest Coach Lines
Services will operate to a Sunday and Public Holiday timetable.
Routes 194, 270, 271, 273 and 274 run to Clarence St and leave from Kent St.
Special Event Vintage Buses
15 of Sydney’s iconic Vintage Buses from the Sydney Bus museum will operate a shuttle service from the city to Milsons Point. The shuttle service runs approximately every 15 minutes from 10:30 until 17:00. Services are free to use with a gold coin donation.
The vintage buses will make stops at the Sydney Opera House on Macquarie Street, cross the Harbour Bridge and stop on Broughton St at Milsons Point and Blue St at North Sydney before returning to the city. See the Vintage Buses stop map.
Customers are reminded these buses will be very popular and to expect long queues. Trains run frequently over the bridge between Milsons Point and Wynyard and is the quickest alternate transport option.
Australia Day is one of the busiest days of the year for Sydney Ferries and services will reach capacity early.
There are also various impacts to ferry services throughout the day and night due to events on the Harbour so customers are strongly encouraged to have a backup plan and consider catching a train or bus instead as delays are expected.
Ferry service changes:
- Harbour Exclusion Zones around Circular Quay will be in effect from 11:45am to 12:30pm and 7pm to 10pm while events take place on the harbour.
- Ferries will be impacted during these times with some services unable to operate at all and other services using alternate wharves outside of Circular Quay instead.
- Ferries may also experience delays due to events taking place on the Harbour so allow for extra travel time.
- Ferries between Manly and Circular Quay (CQ) run every half an hour during the day then around every 20 minutes in the evening.
- Services will be unable to operate during the morning and evening exclusion zones. Additional Route 170 buses between Manly and Wynyard will run during these times.
- From Manly to CQ: First service leaves at 6.35am then every 30 minutes until 11am. No services between 11am and 12.40pm. From 12.40pm to 6pm services run every 20 minutes. No services between 6pm and 10pm. From 9.30pm services run every 40 minutes until approximately 1am.
- From CQ to Manly: First service leaves at 6.20am then every 30 mins until 11am. No services between 11am and 12.40pm. From 12.40pm to 6.30pm services run every 20 minutes. No services between 6.30pm and 10pm. From 10pm services back to Manly leave CQ at 10pm, 10.15pm, 10.30pm, 11pm, 11.45pm and 12.20am.
F2 Taronga Zoo:
- Ferries will run a direct service between Taronga Zoo and Circular Quay (CQ) every 20 minutes in both directions.
- From the Zoo to CQ: First service leaves the Zoo at 9.22am, last service leaves at 6.35pm. No services between 11.20am and 12.20pm or after 6.35pm.
- From CQ to the Zoo: First service leaves CQ at 9am, last service leaves at 6.20pm. No services between 11.40am and 12.40pm or between 6.20pm and 10pm. From 10pm limited services leave CQ at 10pm, 11pm and midnight.
F3 Parramatta River:
- Ferries between Parramatta and Circular Quay (CQ) run every 30 minutes to an hour throughout the day.
- During exclusion zones services will run to and from Barangaroo instead of Circular Quay.
- From Parramatta/Olympic Park: First service leaves at 7.38am then every hour from Parramatta or every half an hour from Olympic Park. The 10.38am ferry from Parramatta will terminate at Barangaroo. Last services to the city (Barangaroo) leaves Parramatta and Olympic Park at 6.38pm. Services arriving at the city between 7pm and 8pm will terminate at Barangaroo.
- From Circular Quay/Barangaroo: First service leave at 7.07am then every 30 minutes until 11.07am, then from 12.37pm until 6.37pm. Services between 7pm and 10pm will leave from Barangaroo at 7.18pm, 7.48pm, 8.48pm and 9.48pm. Services resume departing from Circular Quay at 10.07, 10.37pm and 11.37pm.
F4 Cross Harbour:
- Ferries will run between Pyrmont and Circular Quay (CQ) only. Services will not operate to Rose Bay or Watsons Bay.
- Services between Pyrmont and CQ run every 15 to 30 minutes stopping at Milsons Pt, McMahons Pt, Balmain East and Barangaroo.
- From Pyrmont to CQ / Milsons Point: First service leaves at 8.15am and run every 30 minutes until 11.15am then every 15 minutes until 6pm. Services from Pyrmont between 11.15am and 12pm will terminate at Milsons Point. No services will run from 6.15pm until 10.45pm. Limited late night services leave Pyrmont at 10.45pm and 11.15pm.
- From CQ/Milsons Point to Pyrmont: First service leaves at 8.17am and run every 30 minutes until 11.15am then every 15 minutes until 5.45pm. Services to Pyrmont between 11.45am and 12.45pm will leave from Milsons Point instead of CQ. No services will run from 5.45pm until 10.15pm. Limited late night services leave CQ at 10.17pm, 10.47pm and 11.47pm.
F5 Neutral Bay:
- Ferries between Kirribilli and Circular Quay (CQ) run every hour, stopping at North Sydney, Neutral Bay and Kurraba Point.
- From Kirribilli: First service leaves at 6.32am then every hour until 5.32pm. No services between 6.32pm and 10.32pm. Limited late night services leave at 10.50pm and 11.50pm.
- From CQ: First service leaves at 6.25am then every hour until 6.25pm. No services between 6.25pm and 10.25pm. Limited late night services leave CQ at 10.25pm and 11.25pm.
F6 Mosman Bay:
- Ferries between Mosman Bay and Circular Quay (CQ) run every hour, stopping at Cremorne Pt, South Mosman, Old Cremorne and Mosman Bay.
- From Mosman to CQ: First service leaves at 7.25am and run every hour, except at 11.25am, until 6.25pm. No services will run between 6.25pm and 10pm. Limited late night services leave at 10.22pm, 11.22pm and 12.22am.
- From CQ to Mosman: First service leaves at 7am and run every hour, except at 12pm, until 6pm. No services will run between 6pm and 10pm. Limited late night services leave CQ at 10pm, 11pm and midnight.
F7 Double Bay:
- Ferries between Double Bay and Circular Quay (CQ) run every hour stopping at Darling Point.
- From Double Bay: First service leaves at 9.20am then every hour until 6.20pm. No services between 6.20pm and 10.20pm. Limited late night services direct to CQ leave at 10.20pm and 11.20pm.
- From CQ to Double Bay: First service leaves at 8.57am then every hour, except 11.57am, until 5.57pm. No services between 6pm and 10pm. Limited late night services leave CQ at 10pm and 10.57pm.
F8 Cockatoo Island:
- Ferries between Cockatoo Island and Circular Quay (CQ) run every hour, stopping at Balmain, Birchgrove, Greenwich and Woolwich.
- From Cockatoo Island to CQ: First service leaves at 7.19am then every hour until 6.19pm. The 11.19am service will terminate at Barangaroo instead of CQ. No services between 6.19pm and 10.19pm. A late night service will leave CQ at 11.19pm.
- From CQ to Cockatoo Island: First service leaves at 6.45am then every hour until 5.45pm. The 11.45am service will leave from Barangaroo instead of Circular Quay. No services between 5.45pm and 10.15pm. Limited late night services leave CQ at 10.15pm, 10.45pm and 11.45pm.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations. The best stops for events in Darling Harbour are Convention near Harbourside and Exhibition Centre near the ICC and Tumbalong Park.
Services on Australia Day will run every 15 - 24 minutes from 6am to 9am then every 10 minutes until the last service to Dulwich Hill leaves Central at 11.15pm. After such time overnight services will run between Central and The Star, Pyrmont only.
Key roads around Circular Quay and The Rocks will close from the morning and evening to cater for Australia Day events in the city and around the harbour. Roads will also close in Milsons Point for events in Bradfield Park.
Key road closures Sydney CBD:
- From 4am to midnight: George St from Essex St to Hickson Rd and sections of Alfred St and Pitt St. George St between Hickson Rd and Lower Fort St will close from 4am and remain closed until 10pm Sunday 27 January for the regular Rocks Markets trading.
- From 7am to 10am: Hickson Rd from Napoleon St to Towns Place
- From 7am to 11am: Hickson Rd from Towns Place to Pottinger St
- From 7am to midnight: Hickson Rd from George St to Pottinger St.
- From 3pm to midnight: roads north of Bridge St including sections of Pitt St, Loftus St, Young St, and Phillip St.
- From 7.30pm to 10.30pm: Lane 4 on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Cahill Expressway lanes 7 and 8 and the Circular Quay Overpass will close. On-ramps to the Harbour Bridge at High St and Mount St in North Sydney and the Grosvenor St on and off-ramps in the city will also be closed. 3 lanes northbound and 2 lanes southbound remain open on the Harbour Bridge deck. The speed limit will be reduced to 40km/h between 8pm and 9.30pm.
- From 8.30pm to 10.30pm: Macquarie St north of Bent St and roads north of Hunter St including Bridge St, Grosvenor St, Bent St, Pitt St and Phillip St will close. Please note that sections of Pitt St, Margaret St, Hunter St, Bond St and George St may close between 3pm and 8.30pm subject to NSW Police discretion dependent on crowd size.
There will be no road closures around Darling Harbour as the main fireworks display will be held in Circular Quay.
Key road closures Milsons Point:
- From 7am to 5pm: Burton St
- From 7am to 10pm: Olympic Drive between Alfred St Sth and Kirribilli Ave,
- From 8pm to 10pm: Broughton St and sections of Pitt St and Kirribilli Ave.
- From 7.30pm to 10.30pm: High St on-ramp and Mount St on-ramp to the Cahill Expressway, Harbour Bridge lanes 4, 7 and 8 and the Cahill Expressway Circular Quay Overpass.
Vehicles parked inside road closures, in private and commercial carparks or driveways, are not permitted to drive onto closed roads until they reopen. Familiarise yourself with the road closure locations and times, as roads may not reopen for several hours.
For the latest traffic conditions and the full event closure details including clearway locations and maps at Live Traffic NSW. For traffic conditions download a real-time traffic app from the App Store or Google Play.
Demand for taxis will be high, so please be patient while in queues at taxi ranks. Taxi pick-up and drop-off may be restricted in some areas due to road closures.
Relocated Taxi ranks will be available at:
- Darling Harbour: Zollner Circuit
- The Rocks: Argyle Street near Harrington Street (northern side of the road)
- Sydney CBD: Bent Street between Loftus Street and Farrer Place (northern side of the road)
For details of taxi networks servicing the Sydney area, visit NSW Taxi Council.
With car parks in the city expected to fill early and extensive restrictions on street parking in place, its best to leave the car at home and take advantage of the additional public transport services running to get you to and from Australia Day celebrations.
Special event clearways
Special event clearway street parking restrictions will be in place on most major roads in the Sydney CBD, around Circular Quay and The Rocks between 3am and midnight. In Milsons Point, clearways will be in effect on Olympic Drive from 6am to 10pm.
For a full list of clearway locations and times, visit livetraffic.com.
Clearways are 'no parking' zones, even for local residents and businesses with parking permits and RMS Mobility Scheme permit holders. Look for the bright yellow signs and read them carefully on the day and the night before when parking your vehicle on Australia Day as some clearways come into effect very early in the morning.
Vehicles left in special event clearways will be towed and a fee applies. If your car is towed you can call 132 701 to find its new location.
There are dedicated accessible viewing areas and accessible event precincts for Australia Day events in the city. Visit Australia Day - Disability and Mobility Support for more information and contact details.
Accessible Pick up and Drops off zones
Accessible drop off and pick up points will be available at the following locations:
- Darling Harbour: Zollner Circuit or Harbour Street, between Liverpool Street and Bathurst Street on the western side
- Circular Quay: Young Street south of Bridge Street on the western side
A valid Australian Disability Parking Permit or NSW Mobility Parking Scheme Permit must be displayed in the windscreen to gain access to accessible parking and accessible set-down and pick-up points.
Accessible Transport services
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).