Sutherland 2 Surf 2019
Flora Street, Sutherland to Don Lucas Reserve, Cronulla
- Run start
Important Event Information
Up to 7,000 participants will take part in the annual Sutherland 2 Surf fun run and walk from Sutherland to Cronulla via the Kingsway on Sunday morning.
Traffic will be heavy in the area while closures and detours are in place so participants are encouraged to catch public transport to avoid delays arriving at the start line.
Shuttle buses will run regularly from Cronulla High School to get participants to the start, after the race, shuttle buses will leave from Cronulla High School running back to Sutherland.
More ways to pay
If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card which displays the contactless payment symbol, or linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and off at Opal card readers on trains, light rail and Sydney Ferries. Keep in mind if you’re travelling by bus you still need to use an Opal card. Standard (peak) Adult Opal fare pricing applies. If you consistently use the same contactless card or linked device to tap on and tap off, you may qualify for Opal daily, weekly and Sunday fare caps but no other Opal benefits apply.
Sydney Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains running between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station.
Metro services start running from the early morning until late. Change at Epping to connect with trains to Central where you’ll need to change for a T8 Airport & South Line train to Wolli Creek then change for a T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line service to Sutherland.
You can use your Opal card or accepted contactless payment method on Sydney Metro services.
The closest train station to the start line is Sutherland on the T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line. The start line on Flora Street is a short 5 minute walk from the station.
If you’re coming from the city you’ll need to catch a T8 Airport & South Line train to Wolli Creek then change for a T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line service to Sutherland.
Trackwork is taking place from 02:00 Saturday 20 July until 02:00 Monday 22 July and may affect how you travel to and from the event:
- T1 North Shore Line: Buses replace trains between Gordon and North Sydney or Wynyard. Buses to stations between Gordon and Chatswood run to and from Wynyard only. Buses between Chatswood and Waverton run to and from North Sydney only.
- T3 Bankstown Line: Buses replace trains between Sydenham and Central. Trains run between Liverpool or Lidcombe and Sydenham only, some to a changed timetable.
- T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line: Buses replace trains between Sydenham and Central. Trains run to a changed timetable between Cronulla and Sydenham, Waterfall and Hurstville, and Central and Bondi Junction.
- T8 Airport & South Line: Some trains run to a changed timetable.
- T9 Northern Line: Some trains run to a changed timetable between Berowra or Hornsby and North Sydney via Strathfield.
- South Coast Line: Buses replace trains between Waterfall and Central. Trains run to a changed timetable between South Coast Line stations and Waterfall stations.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel so allow plenty of extra travel time and plan ahead. Check travel alerts and trackwork or use the Trip Planner.
Event shuttle buses
Special event shuttle buses will run regularly between Cronulla High School and the start line in Sutherland from 6:30am until 7:15am. You will need to purchase a ticket when boarding the bus. One-way single tickets cost $5.00 per person (cash only).
After the race, shuttle buses back to Sutherland will leave from Cronulla High School from around 9:30am until 11am.
Please note: Opal cards are not accepted on event shuttle buses.
Regular bus services
Buses will run to a regular Sunday timetable. A number of bus services make stops near the start line on Flora St and from the finish line in Cronulla. Plan your trip by bus using the Trip Planner
While roads are closed for the event buses will be diverting from their regular routes and using temporary or alternate stops. A number of stops on Taren Point Road and the Kingsway will be closed. Temporary stops will operate on Kiora Road north of the Kingsway.
Bus diversions and changes:
- Route 477: services between 7.14am and 9.35am will travel via the Boulevarde and Kiora Road in both directions while the Kingsway is closed. Services to Miranda will terminate at Kiora Rd north of the Kingsway.
- Route 961, 962, 967 and 975: services between 8.26am and 9.08am that usually travel eastbound on the Kingsway will travel via President Avenue instead.
- Route 969: service at 8.10am to Sutherland will pick up on the Kingsway opposite Caringbah Station. Stops between Nullabarra Rd and Caringbah Station, including along Taronga Pde, Dianella St and Willarong St, will be missed.
- Some early morning services will be cancelled on the following routes:
- Route 971: to Cronulla the 8.45am service will be cancelled.
- Route 977: to Lilli Pilli the 9.05am service will be cancelled.
- Route 978: to Dolans Bay the 8.16am service will be cancelled.
- Route 985: to Miranda the 8:30am and 9:30am services will be cancelled, to Cronulla the 9am service will be cancelled.
Sydney Ferries are a great way to get around the city but services can be popular and may reach capacity, especially on weekends.
On Sundays ferry services don't start until 7.30am yo you won't be able to catch a ferry to the start line on time.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations.
Change at Central to connect with a T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line service to Sutherland.
The event will start at 8am on Flora St, Sutherland, continuing onto Clements Pde, left to Hotham Rd and right onto the Kingsway to use the eastbound lanes of the Kingsway to finish at Don Lucas Reserve Cronulla.
Anyone planning on driving to and from the event is reminded that road closures will be in place for the safety of participants.
Roads around the start area in Sutherland begin closing at 5.30am and remain closed until approximately 9.15am. Roads along the course continue to close from 7am with all closures in place by 8.20am. Roads will begin to reopen from 8.30am in Sutherland, with all roads reopened by 10.30am.
KEY ROAD CLOSURES:
- Sutherland from 5.30am: Flora Street and Acacia Road.
- Gymea to Cronulla from 7.30am: Between 7.30am and 10.30am the eastbound lanes of the Kingsway between Princes Hwy at Gymea and Elouera Rd at Cronulla will be closed. A section of the Kingsway will be closed in both directions between Gymea Bay Rd and the Princes Hwy St from 7.50am to 8.50am. The eastbound lanes will reopen progressively from 8.50am as the runners make their way along the course.
- Note: The Kingsway westbound lanes remain open with a reduced speed limit of 40km/h enforced from 7am. Delays are expected on the westbound lanes so motorists are encouraged to use President Ave instead.
- Kirrawee from 7.30am: Bath Road South, Clements Parade and Oak Road.
- Caringbah from 7.30am: Banksia Road, Denman Avenue and Yathong Road.
- Miranda / Caringbah from 8am: southbound lanes of Kiora Road, Port Hacking Road and Taren Point Road.
- Woolooware from 7.30am: Dolans Road, Fowler Street and Hughes Street.
- Cronulla from 5.30am: Mitchell Road, Elouera Road and Prince Street.
Note: Greenhills car park in Cronulla will also be closed from 2pm on Saturday 20 July until 12pm midday Sunday 21 July to accommodate the event finish line.
Due to the closure of Elouera Rd, motorists will not be able to travel between North and South Cronulla between 8.20am and 10.15am.
- Access to North Cronulla is via The Boulevarde and Captain Cook Dr.
- Access to South Cronulla is via President Ave and Burraneer Bay Rd.
Motorists will still be able to cross the Kingsway at various points before and after runners pass major intersections at Gymea Bay Rd, Sylvania Rd, Wandella Rd, Kiora Rd, Kareena Rd, Taren Point Rd, Gannons Rd and Elouera Rd.
- Gymea Bay Rd before 7:50am and after 8:50am
- Sylvania Rd before 7.50am and after 9am
- Wandella Rd before 7:50am and after 9:10am
- Kiora Rd before 8am and after 9:20am
- Kareena Rd and Taren Point Rd before 8am and after 9:40am
- Taren Point Rd before 8am and after 9.40am
- Gannons Rd before 8:10am and after 9:55am
- Elouera Rd before 8:20am and after 10:15am
There is no dedicated parking area for the event.
Greenhills car park in Cronulla will be closed from 2pm on Saturday 20 July until 12pm midday Sunday 21 July to accommodate the event finish line.
Special event clearway parking restrictions will not be in place, however vehicles parked along the route cannot be moved while the event is underway.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).