Norton Street Italian Festa 2019
Norton St between Marion St and William St, Leichhardt
Important event information
Up to 100,000 people are expected to visit the annual Italian Festa held on Norton Street between Marion St and William St in Leichhardt.
Visitors are encouraged to catch public transport and leave the car at home as roads will be closed and parking is limited.
More ways to pay
If you have a contactless-enabled American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card, or a linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and tapping off at Opal card readers. Available on all public transport in the Opal network, contactless payments are another way to pay on the Opal network. Adult Opal fare pricing applies and you will receive Opal benefits, including daily and weekly fare caps.
Sydney Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains running between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station.
Metro services start running from the early morning. Change at Epping to connect with trains services towards Petersham.
On Sunday to Wednesday nights until late 2019, the late night North West Night Bus service will run frequent all-stops and limited stops services from Tallawong at 9.25pm and from Chatswood at 10.10pm while Sydney Metro grows to full operations.
The closest station to Norton Street is Petersham on the T2 Inner West Line. From Petersham you can walk (1.5km) to Norton Street via Railway Street.
Trackwork is taking place from 02:00 Saturday 26 October until 02:00 Monday 28 October and may affect how you travel to and from the event:
- T1 North Shore: Buses replace trains between Berowra and Gordon.
- T9 Northern Line: Buses replace trains between Hornsby and Strathfield.
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: Buses replace trains between Newcastle Interchange and Central.
- Hunter Line: Buses replace trains between Scone, Dungog and Newcastle Interchange.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel so allow plenty of extra travel time and plan ahead. For train service disruption information, check travel alerts and trackwork or plan your trip using the Trip Planner
Regular bus routes
Regular route buses run to and from Leichhardt including routes 440, 445, 447 and M10 and make stops within walking distance of the festival. Keep in mind buses will be diverting due to road closures so allow extra travel time. Buses will make temporary bus stops on William Street at Norton St.
- Route 440 – Bondi Junction to Rozelle
- Route 445 – Balmain East Wharf to Campsie via Leichhardt Marketplace
- Route 447 – Lilyfield to Leichhardt Marketplace
- Route M10 - Maroubra Junction to Leichhardt via City
Due to road closures on Norton St for the event, buses to and from Leichhardt will be diverting from their regular routes and using temporary stops.
From 3am to 8pm the following diversions will be in effect:
- Routes 440, 445 and 447: services to and from Leichhardt will be diverting around Norton St via Marion St, Flood St and William St. Stops on Norton St and Allen St will be missed. Services will use temporary stops on Norton St at William St.
- Route M10: services to and from Leichhardt will be diverting around Norton St via Marion St and Derbyshire Rd. Stops on Norton St will be missed. Services will use temporary stops on Norton St at William St.
The closest wharf to Leichhardt is Balmain East. From there change for a route 444 or 445 bus towards Leichhardt to get within walking distance of the festival.
Keep in mind F3 Parramatta river services are typically busy on Sundays and may reach capacity early. Plan ahead and consider the alternate transport options.
The closest light rail stop to Norton Street Leichhardt is Leichhardt North which is less than a 1km walk away.
Light rail services run every 10 to 15 minutes on weekends.
Road closures will be in effect on Norton Street and surrounding local roads in Leichhardt for the festival. Traffic will be heavy in the area and on approach to Leichhardt including Parramatta Rd, City West Link Rd and Great Western Hwy. Motorists should allow extra travel time in the area and expect delays.
Road closures from 3am to 8pm:
- Norton St will be closed between Marion St and William St.
- Sections of Marlborough St, Allen St, Short St, Carlisle St, Macauley St, Wetherill St and Arthur St.
- Access for local residents to Macauley St and Wetherill St will be maintained under traffic control.
Paid and street parking is limited in Leichhardt and is expected to fill quickly on the day. Visitors are strongly encouraged to catch public transport to avoid delays. Visit Inner West Council parking for options.
Special event clearways
Special event clearway parking restrictions will be in effect from 3am until 8pm on both sides of Norton Street between Marion Street and William Street.
Clearways are strict no-parking zones and apply even to local residents or RMS Mobility Scheme Permit holders. Check signs before parking as vehicles left in clearways will be towed and a fee applies. For details on road closures and clearway locations, visit livetraffic,com
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).