Changes to Opal from 3 July
As of 3 July, Opal fares will change, the minimum online top up amount will lower and wait times for balance adjustments will reduce.
- from $40 to $10 for Adult Opal cards
- from $20 to $5 for Child/Youth and Concession cards
- from $10 to $5 for Gold Opal cards.
This also applies to the auto top up value, so you can set your Opal account to automatically add $10 (for Adult Opal cards) or $5 (for Child/Youth, Concession or Gold Opal cards) when the balance gets too low.
You can also tap on with your new balance in as little as 15 minutes for trains, ferries and light rail. Allow up to 60 minutes for buses.
Opal fares will increase 2.4 per cent, in line with consumer price index (CPI).
The estimated impact on an average commuter’s trip is an extra 50 cents a week.
The fare adjustments will also impact daily and weekly caps.
To see the new fares and caps listed, please see our Opal fares pages:
To plan your trip and calculate your approximate Opal fare, you can use the Trip Planner.
Find out more about Opal fares.
What Opal benefits stay the same?
- $2 discount for Adult Opal card holders for every transfer between modes (train, ferry, bus or light rail) as part of one trip ($1 for Child/ Youth and Concession card holders).
- $2.50 unlimited all day travel within the Opal network for Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card holders.
- Half price travel after eight paid journeys in a week
- Off-peak train fare savings of 30 per cent
- Fares capped daily, weekly and on Sundays
- The option of auto top-up, so you're always ready to travel
Find out more about Opal benefits.