DVA Veteran Gold cards
If you have a Commonwealth Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Veteran Gold Card or a DVA Gold Health Card, you are entitled to senior/pensioner and concession fares on public transport in NSW.
You must carry your DVA Gold Card when travelling on senior/pensioner or concession fares as proof of entitlement or you may be fined.
Concessions are not available on fast ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, chartered bus services and Great Southern Rail services.
To be eligible for a Gold Opal card and senior/pensioner and concession fares you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- reside permanently in NSW
- have any of the above cards issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
DVA Gold Health Cards marked TPI, EDA or War Widow are also eligible.
To apply you need to:
- Go to the Transport Concession application form
- Under ‘Entitlement type’, select ‘Veterans Concession’
- Enter your DVA file number (using capital letters without any spaces e.g. NNN12345)
- If more than one family member is applying, enter your Unique Identification Number (UIN) provided by DVA
- Follow the prompts to complete your application.
After your eligibility is confirmed, your Gold Opal card will be mailed to you within 8 to 10 working days.
If you’re not eligible, you’ll be advised via a message on the screen.
Inside the Opal network, DVA Veteran Gold Card and DVA Gold Health Card holders are entitled to concession travel with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card. You can travel anywhere in the Opal network without having to pay more than $2.50 per day.
You must carry your DVA gold card as proof of entitlement. If you do not have your Gold Opal card and proof of entitlement, you are required to pay for and travel with an Adult fare, or you may be fined.
Sydney Airport train station access fee
You will need to pay the concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Gold Opal card to or from the airport train stations.
Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.
If you have a DVA Veteran Gold Card or a DVA Gold Health Card, you are entitled to concession fares on:
- privately-operated regular route local bus services
- all NSW TrainLink Regional services
- the Regional Excursion Daily (RED) ticket that provides unlimited local daily bus travel outside the Opal network for $2.50
- the Country Pensioner Excursion (CPE) ticket that allows customers to book an Economy class seat on a NSW TrainLink Regional train service for $2.50
- half fare concession on all other pre-booked NSW TrainLink services
- concession fares on local bus services
Concessions do not apply when booking sleeping berths.
Other privately owned and operated services may offer concessions at their own discretion. Check with local transport operators before you travel.