DVA Veteran Gold cards
DVA Veteran Gold cards and Gold Opal cards
If you have a Commonwealth Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) Veteran Gold Card or a DVA Gold Health Card, you are entitled to concession travel in NSW.
You must carry your DVA Gold Card when travelling as proof of entitlement or you may be fined.
Concessions are not available on fast ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, chartered bus services and Great Southern Rail services.
To be eligible for a Gold Opal card and senior/pensioner and concession fares you must:
- be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- reside permanently in NSW
- have any of the above cards issued by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
DVA Gold Health Cards marked TPI, EDA or War Widow are also eligible.
You can apply online.
What you need:
You will need the below information to complete the online application form.
- your personal and contact details
- your DVA file number
- your DVA unique identification number (UIN), if applicable
How to apply:
- Select the ‘Apply online’ button
- Select ‘Veterans Concession’ as the entitlement type
- Follow the prompts to complete your application.
- You must always carry your DVA Gold Card as proof of entitlement when travelling.
- After your eligibility is confirmed, your Gold Opal card will be mailed to you within 8 to 10 working days.
- The Gold Opal card is valid as long as you remain eligible for a DVA Veteran Gold Card or DVA Gold Health Card.
- If you’re not eligible, you’ll be advised via a message on the screen. You should contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs directly for more information.
If your Gold Opal card is lost or stolen you can request a replacement online. A replacement fee may apply.
How to replace
- Select the 'Replace online' button
- Complete the online application.
- A card replacement fee may apply.
- You will need to travel on a full adult fare until your replacement Gold Opal Card arrives.
You can register your Opal card to protect your balance in case your card is lost or stolen. If your Opal card is registered you can link it to a Visa or Mastercard credit or debit card and whenever your balance gets low, it tops up automatically.
Please note: DVA Gold card holders need to select ‘NSW War Widows’ from the ‘Entitlement type’ drop-down menu when creating their account.
You must carry your DVA Gold Card when travelling on a concession fare as proof of entitlement or you may be fined.
Privately owned and operated services, including community transport operators, may offer concessions at their own discretion. Check with local transport operators before you travel.
Inside the Opal network, DVA Veteran Gold Card and DVA Gold Health Card holders are entitled to concession travel with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card. You can travel anywhere in the Opal network without having to pay more than $2.50 per day.
You must carry your DVA gold card as proof of entitlement. If you do not have your Gold Opal card and proof of entitlement, you are required to pay for and travel with an Adult fare, or you may be fined.
Sydney Airport train station access fee
You will need to pay the concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Gold Opal card to or from the airport train stations.
Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.
If you have a DVA Veteran Gold Card or a DVA Gold Health Card, you are entitled to concession fares on:
- privately-operated regular route local bus services
- all NSW TrainLink Regional services
- the Regional Excursion Daily (RED) ticket that provides unlimited local daily bus travel outside the Opal network for $2.50
- the Country Pensioner Excursion (CPE) ticket that allows customers to book an Economy class seat on a NSW TrainLink Regional train service for $2.50
- half fare concession on all other pre-booked NSW TrainLink services
- concession fares on local bus services
- 4 single or 2 return free or discounted trips within NSW annually with Pensioner Travel Vouchers on NSW TrainLink Regional services for Veteran Gold Cards marked ‘war widow’ only. Booking fees apply for First Class travel.
Concessions do not apply when booking sleeping berths.
Other privately owned and operated services may offer concessions at their own discretion. Check with local transport operators before you travel.