School Term Bus Pass
If you live in Sydney and surrounds you can buy a School Term Bus Pass for discounted bus travel between home and school.
Use this page for:
- applying for a School Term Bus Pass for the first time
- updating a School Term Bus Pass or purchasing extra terms
- cancelling a School Term Bus Pass.
If your School Opal card is damaged, lost or stolen, go to replace a damaged, lost or stolen pass
Who can buy a School Term Bus Pass
If the student does not qualify for free school travel, you may be able to buy a School Term Bus Pass.
The student must be:
- a resident of NSW, or an overseas student eligible for free government education.
- aged 4 years 6 months or older. Pre-school children are not eligible.
- living within the minimum distance from the school as detailed below.
Free school travel is available to students who live outside of the following distances from their school. If you live within these distances, you are able to buy a School Term Bus Pass if you meet all the conditions.
The minimum distance varies according to the year or grade the student is enrolled in that calendar year. You are able to buy a School Term Bus Pass for a:
- Year 3 to Year 6 student if the straight line distance from their home address to school is less than 1.6 kilometres.
- Year 7 to Year 12 student if the straight line distance from their home address to school is less than 2 kilometres.
TAFE Students are not able to buy a School Term Bus Pass.
If your application for free school travel has been rejected for reasons other than distance, you cannot apply for a School Term Bus Pass. You can get a Child/Youth Opal card.
Students in rural/regional areas
If the student's travel is in a rural/regional area, please contact your local bus operator to see if a school bus pass is available and which pass will be issued.
Things to know before applying
Applications for next year open during Term 4 this year.
You only need to apply:
- if applying for a School Term Bus Pass for the first time, or
- if requesting an additional School Term Bus Pass due to parents living separately
Pass costs and validity
- The current cost is $55 (including GST) per term. Price is correct at the time of publication and is subject to change.
- It can be purchased for one or more terms in the school year.
- A School Term Bus Pass is valid for travel between home and school on school days only, via the most direct route. It is only valid for one bus operator.
Before starting the online form
- The form needs to be completed in one session, you will not be able to save a partly completed form.
- You will need a valid email address.
- Applications must be made by a parent or legal guardian if the student is under 16 years of age.
- The student needs to complete and submit the application form if they are 16 years or older.
Apply for a School Term Bus Pass
Things to know after applying
You will be informed of the outcome of the application by email, using the details you provided in the online form. If the application is successful:
- Travel for the number of terms purchased will be loaded onto a School Opal card and sent to your home address.
- You will receive your School Term Bus Pass in approximately 8-10 working days.
If the student is eligible for free travel, you can cancel your School Term Bus Pass and request a refund by completing this online form.
If you need to purchase extra terms, you should do so before the beginning of the new school term.
- Please keep the School Opal card as the existing card will be updated.
- You can purchase extra terms online.
- You must purchase travel for the next term before the first day of the new term in order to keep your current School Opal card.
If you have purchased up to Term 4 and wish to purchase travel for the new school year, applications open in October during Term 4. You have until 31 December to apply in order to keep using your existing School Opal card.
If travel for the new school year is purchased after this deadline, a new School Opal card will be sent to you.
Purchase extra terms
You will need to update your details if the student is:
- changing school or campus
- changing home address
- changing their name
- requesting a new transport operator
To change details, complete the online application form to apply for next term using the new details.
We will advise you by email if you will need to keep the existing School Opal card or receive a new one.