Help checking your contactless activity
If you are having problems or have a question about your contactless payments activity, please check the information about common issues below.
If you see an error message after entering your card details, it will likely be for one of the following reasons:
- You entered your card details incorrectly (card number, expiry date or CVV)
- Your card has expired
- Your card does not have $1 credit available for the pre-authorisation fee
- Your card has been blocked by your financial institution (due to it being reported lost, stolen or suspected fraudulent activity)
- Your card has never been used for contactless payments on the Opal network
- You have used a Visa contactless payment card linked to a digital device
Transport Connect registered users
When you register your contactless credit or debit card with Transport Connect, you may also see an error message due to one of these reasons:
- You haven’t correctly verified your card details when you set up your Transport Connect account
- Your card has never been used for contactless payments on the Opal network or has not been used in the last 180 days
- Your card has already been registered to another Transport Connect account
- You have exceeded the number of attempts to register the card. You will be locked out for a period of time.
Why does it say ‘No activity to display’ when I have travelled?
You may see a 'No activity to display' message for one of the following reasons:
- No trips have been recorded on your card in the last 180 days.
- There has been a delay in your travel history processing. This may be because of network delays or during peak travel times when lots of trips are being recorded.
- It is the first time you have used your contactless card and you have only tapped on. Once you tap off your trip will be available to view.
If you didn't tap off, an incomplete trip will be recorded. This will appear delayed on your travel history.
- If you have taken more than 10 trips with your contactless card on any single day of travel then you will see 'No activity to display'. We expect to be able to display more trips in the near future.
When checking your activity online, up to 50 of the most recent trips are able to be shown.
If you have an Transport Connect account, your trip information for the past 18 months will be visible, including dates, times, locations, benefits and discounts. All trips and payments will be listed individually and grouped by date.
Trips may take up to 24 hours to appear in your activity.
Trips are grouped by day, based on the Opal day which starts at 4am and ends at 3.59am the next day. The fare shown is inclusive of all Opal benefits and discounts applied.
If you believe you have been charged an incorrect fare, you may be able to request a reimbursement online.
You can apply for a reimbursement if you were:
- charged a default fare due to a service disruption or equipment outage
- unable to tap on or tap off due to an emergency evacuation or power or equipment outage
- charged an incorrect fare
Your card has been suspended for travel as you have a debt owing on your account. You did not have had sufficient funds to cover a fare or payment. You will need to pay your debt to re-activate your card.
Your card has been blocked. You will need to use a different credit or debit card on an Opal card to travel. You card may have been blocked by your financial institution or your card may have been blocked for being non-compliant on two occasions in the past 12 months.
If the card or device is not recognised when travelling, this means there is an issue with the card you are trying to pay with. The Opal reader will display a ‘Card Not Valid’ message with an error number. See more about error numbers and an explanation of what they mean.