Lost and stolen Opal cards
If your registered Opal card has been stolen or lost, report it and block your card by following the instructions below.
If you have another card linked to your account you can transfer the balance of your blocked card to the other card.
How to block an Opal card
- Log in to your account. You will need your Opal card account username and password.
- Select the Opal card you want to block.
- Select the ‘Manage’ tab.
- Select ‘Block this Opal card'.
- Follow the prompts to block the Opal card permanently.
What you need to know
- Your card will be blocked immediately and your balance will be protected. You won't be able to use it if you later find it.
- You cannot block an unregistered Opal card. Not registered? Register your card now.
For more information please see the Opal Refund and Balance Transfer Policy Form (pdf 249KB).
Get a new Opal card
You can get an Adult or Child/Youth Opal cards from any Opal retailer and link the new card to your account online.
Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal cards and Concession cards can be ordered on the Opal website. A new card will be mailed to you within five to seven days. In the meantime, you can use an Adult Opal card or tap on and tap off with a credit card, debit card or linked device to make a contactless payment for an Adult Opal fare.
Once you have another Opal card, you will need to contact Opal Customer Care to request that the balance from your blocked card be transferred to your new card.