Opal digital card trial
Thank you for your interest to trial Opal on your mobile
Thank you for your interest in taking part in the Opal digital card trial. We have had a great response and currently have enough participants.
We look forward to opening our second intake in early 2021 and will advise when applications are open.
Applying for the trial
We currently have enough trial participants and will open our second intake in early 2021.
When applications re-open, you will need to meet three eligibility criteria before you can register.
To be eligible, you must:
- Own a valid Apple iPhone 6S or newer with iOS 13.0 or newer, Apple Watch, or Samsung smartphone with NFC and Android 9.0 or newer (Android wearables are not supported)
- Currently travel on public transport
- Pay Adult Opal fares
If you meet the criteria, here's how you will get started:
- Register your interest and contact details. If successful, you'll be sent and await your app download email in the coming months.
- Download the Opal digital card trial app and link it to your Opal Connect account.
- Select your auto top up amount and payment method.
- Add the Opal digital card to your digital wallet to tap on and tap off at Opal readers when using public transport. Device manufacturers provide digital wallet support.
- You will be given a new Opal digital card, which is a separate product from your existing Opal card
- You will be able to report any issues and provide feedback via your Opal digital card trial app
- We will contact you to complete surveys or participate in phone interviews, helping us to create the best experience for the final product
- You will be able to request help via your Opal digital card trial app
The Opal Digital Card is issued on behalf of Transport for New South Wales by EML Payment Solutions Limited ABN 30 131 436 532 and will be provisioned into a Mobile Wallet on a Mobile Device. The Opal Digital Card is managed by Mastercard Prepaid Management Services Australia Pty Ltd ABN 47 145 452 044. Please read the full terms and conditions for the Opal Digital Card available at transportnsw.info/opal-digital-terms. Cardholders will also be required to accept the relevant terms and conditions relating to Apple Pay or Samsung Pay, available at transportnsw.info/opal-digital-terms-conditions.