Skip to main content
This site does not support Internet Explorer 10 or earlier. You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Centrelink customers

If you have a Transport Concession Entitlement Card, you are eligible for concession fares on public transport in NSW.

You must carry your Transport Concession Entitlement Card when travelling on a concession fare as proof of entitlement or you may be fined.

Concession fares are not available on private ferries, event shuttle buses, chartered bus services or Great Southern Rail services.

Ticket options

In the Opal network, if you are an eligible job seeker or someone receiving other approved Centrelink benefits you are entitled to travel with a Concession Opal card.

If you are an eligible pensioner, you are eligible for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card instead.

If you do not have your proof of entitlement card, you are required to pay for and travel with an Adult fare, or you may be fined for travelling on an invalid ticket.



How to get your Concession Opal card

  • To apply, visit the Opal website or call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).
  • For a replacement Concession Opal card: Call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL). A replacement fee may apply.

Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.

Find out more about Opal terms of use.

Sydney Airport train station access fee

Eligible job seekers and those receiving approved Centrelink benefits pay the Concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Concession Opal card to or from the airport train stations.

On regional services, eligible job seekers and those receiving approved Centrelink benefits are entitled to concessions fares on:

Some privately owned and operated services in regional NSW may offer a range of different concession fares at their own discretion. Check with local transport operators before you travel.

Transport Concession Entitlement Card

You are eligible to apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card if you reside in NSW and are receiving the maximum rate of benefit.

You must also be either:

Registered as looking for work and receiving one of the following Centrelink benefits:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Youth Allowance (job seekers only)
  • Parenting Payment (partnered)
  • Partner Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
  • Farm Household Allowance

Or receiving one of the following Centrelink benefits:

  • Newstart Allowance (incapacitated)
  • Youth Allowance (incapacitated)
  • Special Benefit
  • Sickness Allowance

Or registered for employment services and receiving one of the following Centrelink benefits:

  • Partner Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Parenting Payment (partnered)

To apply for or renew your Transport Concession Entitlement Card, you need to apply on the Transport Concession Entitlement Card website.

You will need your Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) for the application.

When your eligibility is confirmed, your card will be mailed to you within 8-10 working days. If you are found to be ineligible, you will be advised when applying.

If upon application you meet the eligibility criteria, Transport for NSW will issue a Transport Concession Entitlement Card that is valid for up to 90 days, as long as you remain eligible. After this you will need to reapply online and be reassessed for eligibility.

Your Transport Concession Entitlement Card is only valid while you remain eligible. If you are no longer eligible (e.g. if you take up employment), your Concession Opal card (if you have one) will be cancelled. Your entitlement to concession fares will cease and you must no longer use your Transport Concession Entitlement Card or Concession Opal card.

For a replacement Transport Concession Entitlement Card, you can apply for a replacement card online. A card replacement fee may apply.