NSW War Widow or Widower
NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card
If you have a NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card, you are entitled to concession fares on public transport in NSW.
You must carry your NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card when travelling on a concession fare as proof of entitlement, or you may be fined.
Concessions are not available on fast ferry services between Manly and Circular Quay, event shuttle buses, chartered bus services and Great Southern Rail services.
You are eligible to apply for a NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card, if you meet the following criteria:
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- You reside permanently in NSW; and either
- You are the widow, widower or partner of a member of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) whose death was related to active service and you receive a war widow’s pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA); or
- You are the widow, widower or partner of a deceased ADF member who has been compensated under subsection 234(1) of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth) and the member’s death was related to overseas warlike or non-warlike service.
Warlike and non-warlike service is as defined in the Determinations made under paragraphs 6(1)(a) and 6(1)(b) of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004 (Cth).
Contact the Department of Veterans' Affairs.
NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Cards are issued free of charge by the Department of Veterans' Affairs and are valid for 24 months.
Replacement NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Cards, contact Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs for a card replacement free of charge.
Inside the Opal network, eligible NSW war widows or widowers are entitled to concession travel with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card
You must carry your NSW War Widows or Widowers Transport Concession Card as proof of entitlement. If you do not have your Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card and proof of entitlement, you are required to pay for and travel with an Adult fare, or you may be fined.
How to get your Gold Opal card
You will need your valid NSW War Widows or Widowers Transport Concession Card information on hand.
- Apply online.
- If your Gold Opal card is lost or stolen you can request a replacement online or call 131 500. A replacement fee may apply.
Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.
Sydney Airport train station access fee
Eligible NSW war widows or widowers pay the Concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card to or from the airport train stations.
If you have a NSW War Widow/er Transport Concession Card, you are entitled to concession fares on:
- privately-operated regular route local bus services
- all NSW TrainLink Regional services
- $2.50 all day travel with the Regional Excursion Daily ticket on local buses.
- $2.50 all day travel with the Country Pensioner Excursion ticket for booked NSW TrainLink Regional services.
- Concession fares when you travel on interstate train services
- four single or two return free journeys on NSW TrainLink Regional services within NSW each calendar year (booking fees apply for first class travel).
Concessions do not apply when booking sleeping berths.
Other privately owned and operated services may offer concessions at their own discretion. Check with local transport operators before you travel.