Skip to main content

Opal balance transfers and refunds

Opal cards are made to last for years. Before you request a refund consider keeping and reusing your card later or on your next visit. Adult and Child/Youth cards can be transferred to another person.

If you want to find out if you can get a refund, review the Opal Refund and Balance Transfer Policy and Form (pdf 441KB).

Minimum refund amount

There are no part refunds. You can only apply for a refund in the amount of the full refundable balance of your Opal card. Amounts under $5 will not be refunded by cheque.

No cash refunds

No refunds will be made in cash. As part of the refund process you will need to provide details of an Australian bank account. If bank account details are not supplied, a cheque will be sent if the amount is over $5 to the Australian address specified in the Refund Form only. No refund cheques will be sent overseas.

Refunds on behalf of others

If you’re applying for a refund as the parent or guardian of an Opal card belonging to a child under the age of 16, or on behalf of a deceased estate, you can find full details in the Opal Refund and Balance Transfer Policy and Form (pdf 441KB)

Cancelled or expired Opal cards

If your Opal card is cancelled or expired, you must claim a refund or request a balance transfer within 90 days from when your Opal card expired. If you don’t make a claim you will forfeit the Opal card balance.

Lost or stolen cards

We do not provide refunds for lost or stolen Opal cards. However, if you have a registered Opal Card you may be able to obtain a balance transfer.

60 days to collect balance transfers and adjustments

Opal card balance transfers and adjustments must be collected, by tapping on at an Opal card reader, within 60 days, otherwise you will need to contact Opal Customer Care to reapply.

Visitors to Sydney

If you were using an Opal card during your visit to Sydney, when you are ready to leave you can either:

  • hold onto your Opal card for your next visit
  • give it to family or friends
  • get a refund on the balance. Refunds can only be made to an Australian bank account and an Australian address

If your Opal card is damaged or faulty, please call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) for a replacement.

  • Concession or Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal cards must be applied for over the phone.
  • Adult and Child/Youth Opal cards can be picked up from Opal retailers.

Once you have your replacement card, if it is registered you can request a balance transfer to your new Opal card by calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

If you are reporting a lost or stolen registered Opal card, you can also log in to your Opal account to block the card and apply for a replacement Opal card and transfer the balance.

There are no refunds available on Opal single trip tickets unless your ticket is faulty.

Refunds are not available for lost, stolen or damaged single trip tickets, or in any other circumstance.

If your ticket is faulty, use the following forms Opal Single Trip Ticket Refund or Transfer Form

If there has been an error when topping up or buying a ticket through the Opal top up and single trip ticket machines, please submit your refund or transfer request via the 

Opal Transactional Error Reimbursement and Transfer Form.