Top up your Opal card
Once you have your Opal card, there is a range of top up options to manage your card balance.
You can top up:
- by setting up auto top-up
- using the Opal Travel app
- on the Opal website
- over the counter from over 2,100 Opal retailers. Find a location on the Opal retailers map
- using one of the Opal top up machines available at selected stations, stops and wharves
- at selected Transport Customer Service Centres
- at selected Service NSW Centres
Depending on which way you choose to top up, there are a few things you need to consider.
Online top ups can take between 15 to 60 minutes to take effect. You also must tap on with that Opal card at an Opal reader within 60 days after topping up. If you do not, the amount you added will be refunded to your credit/debit account.
When making a one-off top up, or using auto top up, you need to make sure you have enough funds in your credit or debit account to complete the transaction.
Some retailers require their customers to pay minimum transaction values or a service fee to cover credit/debit card merchant fees.
Some Opal cards are issued with a zero balance. If this is the case, you need to top up before you can travel. Adult and Child/Youth Opal cards from retailers require that you add value at the same time.
Free travel and school Opal cards do not need to be topped up.
For Adult Opal cards, you can top up with the following amounts:
- $15 (only online top ups)
- $35 (only retailer top ups)
- $80 (only online one-off and retailer top ups)
- $100 (only retailer top ups)
- $120 (only retailer top ups)
You can top up a Gold Opal Card for as little as $2.50 when topping up at an Opal top up machine or in person at a retailer, Transport Customer Service Centre or Service NSW Centre.
You can top up a Child/Youth, Concession and Gold Opal cards for as little as $5 if you top up via the Opal Travel app or online. You can access your new balance in as little as 15 minutes for trains, ferries and light rail. Allow up to 60 minutes for buses.
Gold, Concession and Child/Youth Opal cards can be topped up with the following amounts:
- $2.50 (only retailer top ups for Gold Opal cards)
- $50 (only online one-off and retailer top ups)
- $60 (only online top ups for Gold Opal cards and retailer top ups)