Opal Travel is the official app for managing your travel across the Opal Network in Sydney and greater New South Wales. With Opal Travel, you can enable auto top ups, view your travel history and access other useful public transport information, all on your mobile phone.
- Top up, set auto top up or find nearby Opal retailers.
- Trip planning for metro, train, bus, ferry, light rail, regional train and coach services.
- Get Opal card fare estimates.
- Register your Opal card and manage your linked Opal cards.
- Receive alerts to notify you when you are approaching your stop.
- Send personalised alerts, which will notify you of disruptions that may affect your trip. If you use an iPhone, you must enable push notifications.
- See progress to your Weekly Travel Reward journey count.
- Report lost or stolen cards and transfer the balance to other eligible cards linked to your account.
- View contactless payment activity.
When topping up through the Opal Travel app, allow up to one hour for your card balance to update.
To register your Opal card through the app, sign in to Opal Travel, click on 'Link Opal card to account' on the Opal card details screen and follow the prompts to enter your card details.
- Identifies wheelchair accessible services.
- Compatible with TalkBack on Android and VoiceOver on iOS.
If your mobile device has Near Field Communication, you can scan your Opal card with your phone to see your current Opal balance and recent journey information.
You can check you current Opal balance using Siri. You just need a registered Opal card, and Siri enabled on your iOS 12 and above mobile device, or Apple WatchOS 5.0+.
Opal Travel is the only official Transport for NSW Opal app and it’s free.
We’d like to hear your feedback about the Opal Travel app. You can contact us via the app by selecting Menu > Send Feedback > Opal Travel App, or by filling in the website App feedback form.
By Transport for NSW