Apply for a school travel pass
The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) gives eligible school students free or concession travel between home and school on public transport in NSW, including metro, train, bus, ferry and light rail services.
Depending on where you're travelling, you may receive a free school travel pass, School Opal card or both.
Free or subsidised school travel is available for eligible students through:
- School Opal cards provides free school travel, and can be used as a School Term Bus Pass, for travel within the Opal network. Apply through the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) website
- School travel pass provides free travel on NSW TrainLink Regional services and long distance coach services for boarding school students.
- School Drive Subsidy provides subsidised travel in a private vehicle if you live in an area where there is no public transport.
- If you don't qualify for free travel to and from school, you may be eligible to purchase a School Term Bus Pass.
If you live in regional NSW and do not qualify for these schemes, contact your local operator for concession information
For all the information, to apply and for replacement cards, visit the School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) website.
If you are a teacher planning to travel with a school group, ensure that you read through the information for school excursions at least three to four weeks before the day of the excursion.
School travel tips
Use the Trip Planner to plan your school travel in advance to confirm your school bus route number and stop location.
Not all schools have dedicated school bus services. Use the Trip Planner, you can see your trip options on any mode except regional buses.
If you live in Sydney and surrounds you can plan your school bus trip with real time information.
To plan your trip to school on a school bus using the Trip Planner:
- Enter your location in the 'From' field, such as your home address
- Enter your destination in the ‘To’ field, such as your school name
- Set the date and time you wish to travel, e.g. 8.00am
- Select ‘School bus’ under the ‘Options’ tab to see school buses.
- To narrow down your results to only school buses, untick the checkboxes for the other transport modes.
- Look for the school bus icon in your trip plan results.
If you know your school route number, you can also check timetables and routes for all school buses in Sydney and surrounds.
If you don’t know your school route number, you can find out by contacting your school or, if you live within the Opal network, by planning a trip to your school using the Trip Planner.
Conduct while travelling
Students are expected to be courteous and responsible, and follow the school student's code of conduct when travelling between home and school.
Travel outside of school
When using public transport other than for school, children aged 4 to 15 years are entitled to concession travel. Secondary students aged 16 years and over also pay concession fares with their proof of entitlement card. Find out more.