Preparing for your NSW TrainLink trip
Getting ready for your trip? Be prepared to travel with our important reminders and conditions below.
Before you travel
Travel on any NSW TrainLink regional train and coach service includes a set luggage allowance, which varies depending on the type of ticket you bought. See more on luggage allowances and limitations.
- 1x Hand luggage, 10kg 30x50x30cm
- 1x Large luggage, 20kg 60x70x50cm
Train First Class and Coach
- 1x Hand luggage, 10kg 30x50x30cm
- 2x Large luggage, 20kg 60x70x50cm
If you are travelling with a bicycle, surfboard, skis, snowboard or musical instrument, you'll need to make a booking for the item. Luggage can be reserved over the phone or in person.
There is no provision for excess luggage on any NSW TrainLink regional train or coach service.
Children under the age of 12 cannot travel alone and must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or older, except where, they are accompanied by a parent under the age of 16.
Children aged 12-15 may travel alone and should make themselves known to staff before or soon after boarding. A contact number of the guardian or person meeting the child at the destination is required.
See more on travelling with children.
On the day of travel
See real-time service alerts and trackwork. If you provided a mobile phone number when you booked your ticket, we will contact you in the event of a change to the planned departure time of your service.
Arrive at least 15 minutes before departure time. Luggage check-in closes 30 minutes before departure time. Please note that check-in is not available at all stations and space is limited
Whilst we do our best to have you arrive at your destination on time, sometimes service delays may impact your journey.
In a situation where a service is significantly delayed, you will likely have three travel options available:
- Travel with us using alternate transport options. In the event of a major disruption we will aim to get you to your planned departure location. Trains may be replaced with coaches or run to an altered timetable.
- Change your booking. If your service is delayed and you’d like to travel at a different time, you can change your booking. Call 13 22 32 to rebook your travel. Your rebooking fee will be waived.
- Cancel your booking. In the event of a major disruption, you may cancel your booking for a full refund. Call 13 22 32 prior to the departure of your service to cancel your booking. Your cancellation fee will be waived.
If you need details of a service disruptions to support a travel insurance claim, please contact NSW TrainLink and include the following;
- booking number
- travel dates
- customer names
- phone number or email address.
NSW Trains is not liable for costs incurred due to service disruptions.
On most train journeys, the buffet car will sell drinks, snacks, and hot and cold meals. Buffet car opening hours apply.
Food and drink (with the exception of water) is not permitted on coach services. For trips of 4 or more hours, break stops are included.
No BYO alcohol is to be consumed on any NSW TrainLink train or coach service, or at stations. Fines may apply.
Your safety is our priority. NSW Police and Authorised Officers regularly patrol NSW TrainLink services. If a passenger breaches any provision of the Passenger Transport (General) Regulation 2017, they may be removed from the service without right of refund and fined up to $1,100.
Smoking is not permitted on any NSW TrainLink service, or at stations or coach stops. Fines apply.
See how you can ensure you have a safe trip.
After you arrive
We cannot guarantee connection between our service and any other transport service, including any rail (including Sydney Trains), airline, cruise/shipping, coach, tour or hire car operator. This also includes NSW TrainLink Regional services where connecting time is less than 60 minutes.