Country Pensioner Excursion ticket (CPE)
Book a seat on NSW TrainLink Regional services
A Country Pensioner Excursion (CPE) ticket is an affordable ticket for eligible pensioners and seniors to travel by train in regional NSW and the ACT.
For $2.50 you can book an Economy class seat on a NSW TrainLink Regional train service. You will need to book 7 days or less in advance.
You can buy a CPE ticket if you have one of the following cards:
- Seniors Card from any Australian state or territory
- NSW, Victorian or ACT Pensioner Concession Card (pensioners from other states and territories pay half fare)
- NSW, ACT or Victorian War Widow/er Transport Concession Card
- DVA Gold Health Card marked with Totally & Permanently Incapacitated (TPI) or Extreme Disability Adjustment (EDA) endorsement
- Asylum Seekers Transport Concession Entitlement Card
- Transport Concession Fare Authority for former RailCorp or State Transit employees.
You can make several stops on the same ticket, providing you don’t stop for more than 12 hours and complete your journey as shown on the ticket.
You can return to your place of origin, provided you begin your return train journey within 12 hours of arriving at your destination.
Remember to carry your concession card when you travel, as transport staff will need to check it.
If you catch a train or coach without booking, you will be charged for each trip you take.
The CPE ticket cannot be used for travel through NSW TrainLink Intercity or Sydney Trains areas such as Sydney, Wollongong or Newcastle or for travel to the Blue Mountains, or for interstate travel to Victoria or Queensland. If you wish to travel through these areas, use the half-fare entitlement with your Pensioner Concession Card or Seniors Card or use a Pensioner Travel Voucher. If you are only travelling within the Opal network, you can use a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card.
Pensioner Concession Card and Seniors Card holders are no longer required to register their card details before booking a Country Pensioner Excursion (CPE) fare online.
However you must be in possession of a valid concession card when travelling and are required to produce it to an authorised person upon request, otherwise the applicable fare will be charged.
There are several ways to book a CPE ticket:
- Book online and pay by credit card. Select 'concession' when booking online and print your ticket.
- Book over the phone on 13 22 32.
- Book at some train stations and sales agents outside Sydney. Find NSW TrainLink sales agents.
CPE tickets cannot be bought from train stations and NSW TrainLink agents within Sydney and surrounding areas. This includes Central Station. View the Country Pensioner Excursion tickets boundary map (pdf 1.0MB).
If you book online or over the phone, you can pay by credit or debit card.
If you book over the phone, you'll also have the option to arrange payment by cash, EFTPOS or credit card in person at your nearest train station or accredited sales agent . Some stations may not be able to accept EFTPOS or credit card payments.
Tickets will be emailed to you.
- Tickets must be booked within seven days of the date you intend to travel, otherwise you will be asked to pay 50% of the full adult fare when you show your concession card.
- You need to provide your concession card number when booking and collecting your ticket and you must carry both your ticket and concession card with you during your journey.
- The CPE cannot be bought or used for travel to or from locations or pass through the area bounded by and including Sydney, Bomaderry, Goulburn, Bathurst, Scone and Dungog, or used for travel to Victoria or Queensland destinations.
- The ticket is not transferable.
- A spouse, friend or relative can purchase and collect your ticket for you if they can show your eligible concession card and their own ID (e.g. concession card or driver licence). If the person is not your spouse they must also produce a letter of authority from you that includes:
- date of travel
- your name and address
- your pension number
- name and address of the person collecting your ticket
- both of your signatures
- reservation number (if applicable).