Skip to main content

Tertiary students

Ticket options

In the Opal network, if you are an eligible tertiary student you are entitled to travel with a Concession Opal card.

You cannot travel with a Child/Youth Opal card or Child/Youth Opal single tickets.

Proof of entitlement cards for travel inside the Opal network

You must carry your proof of entitlement (either a valid approved student ID card or a Transport Concession Entitlement Card) and your Concession Opal card when you travel within the Opal network.


How to get your Concession Opal card

Before you apply you need to:

Once you have an approved proof of entitlement card and have given consent to your institution, you can apply for a Concession Opal card on the Opal website or by calling 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).

For a replacement Concession Opal card: call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL). A replacement fee may apply.

Using an Opal card provides you with a range of travel benefits.

Find out more about Opal terms of use.

Sydney Airport train station access fee

Eligible tertiary students pay the Concession Sydney Airport station access fee when travelling with a Concession Opal card to or from the airport train stations.

In regional NSW, eligible tertiary students are entitled to concession fares with a Transport Concession Entitlement Card on:

Some privately owned and operated services may not offer concession travel for NSW Tertiary Student Concession Card holders. Check with local transport operators before you travel.


NSW tertiary students are eligible to apply for concession fares in NSW if they are enrolled full-time in either:

  • an accredited course of study with a registered higher education provider, or
  • a Vocational Education and Training (VET) accredited course.

Tertiary students must also be an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia.

A full-time student means:

  • a university student who is considered to be enrolled on a full-time basis by their university, or
  • a student enrolled in an accredited course of study requiring at least 16 hours per week of classes for a continuous period of at least six weeks.

Tertiary students with a disability that are enrolled part-time may also be eligible.

Eligibility is determined in accordance with the NSW Tertiary Student concessions guidelines (pdf 347KB).

Check if you are attending an approved tertiary institution.

International students are only entitled to concession fares when their study is fully funded by specified Australian Government scholarships.

Eligibility is determined in accordance with the NSW Tertiary Student concessions guidelines (pdf 347KB).

If you are an eligible international student, you must carry a valid proof of entitlement to travel on concession fares across NSW.

Transport Concession Entitlement Card

You can apply for a Transport Concession Entitlement Card if you are attending an approved institution.

Apply for Transport Concession Entitlement Card.

Cards are issued in line with the terms and conditions for tertiary students.