Experience Australia by rail
As the world's largest island continent, Australia is as diverse as it is vast. You can explore this great country by rail taking in the scenery. From the lush green beauty of our tropical rainforests, to the desert extremes of the Red Centre and of course, literally thousands of beautiful, white sandy beaches.
There's winding rivers, magnificent mountain ranges, vivid wildflowers, majestic waterfalls, unique wildlife, red desert vistas, crystal clear waterholes and some of the most liveable cities in the world. But because Australia is so big, driving around can seem a little daunting and missing the best of it from a plane at 35,000 feet is such a waste.
Rail travel is so perfectly suited for this great southern land. The varying weather, time zones, and vast distances between attractions will be of no concern to you as you explore Australia from the climate-controlled comfort of your carriage. You'll find each and every one of these great train journeys has its own unique character and set of attractions.
Discover places to visit in Australia, and find out how to get around on public transport when you get there. You can also visit Tourism Australia website to start planning your rail trip of a lifetime.
Long distance train services across Australia
- Australind services travel from Perth to Bunbury
- AvonLink services travel Midland to Northam
- MerredinLink services travel from East Perth to Merredin
- The Prospector travels from East Perth to Kalgoolie
Learn more and book on the Transwa website.
- The Gulflander travels in parts of North Queensland
- The Inlander travels between Townsville and Mt Isa
- Kuranda Scenic Railway travels across North Queensland
- Savannahlander travels between Cairns and Forsayth
- Spirit of the Outback travels between Brisbane, Rockhampton and Long Reach
- Tile Train travels up and down the coast between Brisbane and Cairns
- The Westlander runs from Brisbane to Charleville
Learn and more book on the Queensland Rail Travel website.