Book Sydney to Broken Hill by train
Book online and save
Get a 10% discount when you book online, or up to 20% discount when you book 5 or more days in advance. Conditions apply.
Discount is exclusive to tickets bought through this website and applies to seasonal Adult fares.
Book a NSW TrainLink train from Sydney to Broken Hill
Tickets available in both directions
Travel in style and comfort from Sydney Central Station to Broken Hill with NSW TrainLink. With a variety of seating options to choose from, including economy and first class, you can customise your journey to suit your needs.The Broken Hill Outback Explorer train runs weekly every Monday to Broken Hill. Daily XPT train services to Dubbo with coach connections to Broken Hill, Bourke and Lightning Ridge are also available.
- On board buffet car
- Choice of Economy or First Class travel
- Stunning Australian countryside.
How to book
- Book tickets online, over the phone, or at the station.
- Advance booking is recommended to secure your seats and ensure availability.
Ways to save
The best ways to save on train fares from Sydney to Canberra:
- Book online and save: Get the best fares and secure your seats by booking online.You can save up to 10% on your ticket price when you book online.
- Book in advance: When you book a Standard Adult fare online 5 or more days before your planned departure date, you can get a discount of up to 20% on your fare. Conditions apply.
- Travel outside of peak season - Peak fares apply during busy travel periods, including in the lead up to and during school holidays, public holidays and major events. Check fare seasons times to see when you can save.
- Look out for special deals - Take advantage of special sale fares when they're on offer.
- Buy a Discovery Pass - Get unlimited travel to more than 365 destinations.
Please note: Opal cards are not accepted on NSW TrainLink trains.
When travelling on Regional train services, you can book a style of travel that suits your needs.
Economy Class Seat
- 1 piece of large luggage and 1 piece of hand luggage
- Lean back on 28 degree recline seats
- Air conditioned cabin
First Class Seat
- 2 pieces of luggage and 1 hand luggage
- Stretch out with a 40 degree seat recline and extra leg room
- Air conditioned cabin
Book your trip now
* All fares shown are one-way Adult fares only. Fares vary seasonally in response to demand and may be different to those shown here.
Find out more about XPLORER train carriages layout.
The things to know before you go
|approx. 13h 25m|
|Seats are allocated. Choose your travel class when you book.|
Food and drink
|NSW TrainLink Regional train services include a buffet car serving drinks, snacks, and hot and cold meals.|
4 x accessible seats, 2 x spaces for wheelchairs, accessible toilets
Route map and timetables
Check out the full train timetables departing from Sydney to Broken Hill, and for the reverse journey from Broken Hill to Sydney. Check travel alerts for up-to-date information before you travel.
Broken Hill to Sydney
|Services||Route and timetable|
|Morning||446 Broken Hill to Sydney (Central station)|