Book Sydney to Melbourne by train
Book online and save
Get a 10% discount when you book online, or up to 20% discount when you book 5 or more days in advance. Conditions apply.
Discount is exclusive to tickets bought through this website and applies to seasonal Adult fares.
Book a NSW TrainLink train from Sydney to Melbourne
Tickets available for travel in both directions
NSW TrainLink offers daily services that take you from Sydney Central station to Melbourne Southern Cross station in just over 10 hours. With comfortable seating and scenic views along the way, NSW TrainLink is a convenient and enjoyable way to travel between Australia's two largest cities.
Board the train in the evening and wake up to a new city.
- On board buffet car
- Choice of Economy or First Class travel
- Sleeper cabins available (with complimentary breakfast)
How to book
- Advance booking is recommended to secure your seats and ensure availability.
- You can purchase tickets online, over the phone, or at the station.
- Please note that Opal cards are not accepted on NSW Trainlink trains.
Ways to save on fares
The best ways to save on train fares from Sydney to Brisbane:
- Book online and save: Get the best fares and secure your seats by booking online.You can save up to 10% on your ticket price when you book online.
- Book in advance: When you book a Standard Adult fare online 5 or more days before your planned departure date, you can get a discount of up to 20% on your fare. Conditions apply.
- Travel outside of peak season: Peak fares apply during busy travel periods, including in the lead up to and during school holidays, public holidays and major events. Check fare seasons times to see when you can save .
- Look out for special deals: Take advantage of special sale fares when they're on offer.
- Buy a Discovery Pass: Get unlimited travel to more than 365 destinations.
Please note: Opal cards are not accepted on NSW TrainLink trains.
Economy Class Seat
- 1 piece of large luggage and 1 piece of hand luggage
- Lean back on 28 degree recline seats
- Air conditioned cabin
First Class Seat
- 2 pieces of luggage and 1 hand luggage
- Stretch out with a 40 degree seat recline and extra leg room
- Air conditioned cabin
First class overnight sleeper
- Shower facilities available
- Bed linen, towels and toiletries provided
- Complimentary breakfast
Call 13 22 32 to book
* All fares shown are one-way Adult fares only. Fares vary seasonally in response to demand and may be different to those shown here.
The things to know before you go
|Mon - Fri: 07:40
Sat - Sun: 07:40
|Mon - Fri: 20:42
Sat - Sun: 20:42
|Seats are allocated. Choose your travel class when you book.
|2 departures daily
Food and drink
|NSW TrainLink Regional train services include a buffet car serving drinks, snacks, and hot and cold meals.
|3 x accessible seats, 2 x spaces for wheelchairs, accessible toilets
Route map and timetables
Download the the full train timetable departing from Sydney to Melbourne and for the reverse journey from Melbourne to Sydney. Check travel alerts for up-to-date information before you travel.