Championships Day 1 - Autumn Carnival
Royal Randwick Racecourse, Randwick
- Gates Open
- First Race
- Last Race
- Concert Start
Important travel advice
Ticketholders are encouraged to plan their trip and consider all the available travel options ahead of time.
Your ticket to Autumn Carnival 2023 race days at Royal Randwick Racecourse and Rosehill Gardens includes travel on trains, buses, light rail and ferries. Simply show your ticket, proof of purchase or ATC membership to transport staff when boarding services.
Light rail services run regularly to Royal Randwick on the L2 Line or to Kensington on the L3 Line, which is within short walking distance of the racecourse.
If you’re driving, there’s parking on-site at the racecourse or consider using rideshare and taxis instead. Traffic will be heavier than usual in the area when leaving the event as A-League fans make their way to nearby Allianz Stadium in Moore Park so allow extra travel time. You can find real-time traffic conditions at livetraffic.com
Valid pre-purchased tickets to Autum Carnival major race days at Royal Randwick and Rosehill Gardens between 11 March and 15 April 2023 inclusive includes return travel on the following transport services – just show your event ticket to transport staff when boarding:
- Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink Intercity services (non-booked services bounded by Bomaderry, Goulburn, Bathurst, Scone and Dungog stations)
- Sydney metropolitan and outer metropolitan buses
- Sydney Metro North West services
- Sydney and Newcastle Light Rail services
- Sydney and Newcastle Ferries
Remember to keep your event ticket safe for your return journey or you'll need to use your Opal card or contactless payment method, as you must have a valid ticket when travelling on public transport. Your match ticket is valid on the modes of public transport listed above until 4am the following day.
Note: an additional train station access fee applies for travel to or from Domestic and International Airport stations. The access fee is not covered by your event ticket travel entitlements.
Sydney Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains running between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station.
Metro services start from the early morning running every 10 minutes until late. Change at Epping for trains to the city to connect with light rail services to Royal Randwick.
For Metro service disruption information, check trackwork and travel alerts or plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
The closest station to Royal Randwick Racecourse is Central.
Change at Central for Light Rail services to Royal Randwick on the L2 Line leaving from Chalmers Street. You can also catch the light rail to Kensington on the L3 Line to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
Weekend trackwork is taking place from 2am Saturday 1 April to 2am Monday 3 April on the following lines and may affect how you travel to the event. Plan ahead using the Trip Planner:
- T1 North Shore Line: From 11:45pm Saturday to 5:30am Sunday, trains run between Berowra or Hornsby and Wynyard only, some to a changed timetable. Change at Wynyard for City Circle trains or the light rail to continue your journey. Buses replace trains between Central and Strathfield.
- T1 Western Line: Buses replace trains between Penrith or Richmond and Granville. Trains run to a changed timetable between Granville and Central. From 11:45pm Saturday to 5:30am Sunday, buses also replace trains between Strathfield and Central.
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: From 11:45pm Saturday to 5:30am Sunday, buses replace trains between Ashfield and Central. Trains run to a changed timetable between Leppington and Ashfield via Granville. Change at Cabramatta or Lidcombe for trains to the City via Bankstown, or at Strathfield for buses towards Central.
- T5 Cumberland Line: Buses replace trains between Richmond and Granville. T2 Leppington Line trains run between Leppington and the City via Granville.
- T8 Airport & South Line: Buses replace trains between Sydenham and Central via the Airport. Trains run to a changed timetable between Macarthur or Revesby and the City Circle via Sydenham.
- T9 Northern Line: From 11:45pm Saturday to 5:30am Sunday, buses replace trains between Strathfield and Central. Trains run between Hornsby and Strathfield only, some to a changed timetable.
- Blue Mountains Line: Buses replace trains between Penrith and Central. Trains run between Blue Mountains Line stations and Penrith only. Bathurst trains continue to run between Bathurst and Central, to a changed timetable.
- Central Coast & Newcastle Line: Trains run between Central Coast & Newcastle Line stations and Strathfield only. Change at Strathfield to continue your journey. From 9pm Saturday to 5:30 Sunday, buses replace trains between Wyong to Newcastle Interchange. From 11:45pm Saturday to 5:30am Sunday, buses also replace trains between Strathfield and Central.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. For the latest information, check travel alerts and trackwork or use the Trip Planner.
A number of regular route buses travel between the City and Eastern Suburbs via Anzac Parade and Alison Road making stops near Randwick Racecourse. These include route 339, 396, 373 and 374 buses.
Please note that Darley Road opposite Randwick TAFE (Stop ID 203144) will be closed for route 399 bus services travelling towards Clovelly. Please use Centennial Park Main Gate, Darley Road (Stop ID 203145) instead.
For bus service disruption information, check travel alerts or plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
Catch one of the many ferry services to Circular Quay and change for a train to Town Hall to connect with light rail service to Royal Randwick on the L2 Randwick Line or to Kensington on the L3 Kingsford Line.
For ferry service disruption information, check travel alerts or plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
L1 Dulwich Hill Line
Due to planned trackwork and maintenance works, buses will replace all L1 Dulwich Hill light rail services between Central Grand Concourse and Dulwich Hill from 6am Saturday 1 April to 11pm Sunday 2 April.
Catch rail replacement buses to Central or change at Dulwich Hill for trains to the city instead. From there connect with L2 and L3 light rail services to Royal Randwick or Kensington to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
Use the Trip Planner to plan your trip. For more information, see the L1 trackwork news story.
L2 Randwick and L3 Kingsford Lines
L2 Randwick light rail services run between Circular Quay and Randwick via Central Station (Chalmers Street) and L3 Kingsford line services run between Circular Quay and Juniors Kingsford via Central Station (Chalmers Street). Services run regularly from 5am to 1am daily, plan your trip using Trip Planner.
Catch a light rail service to Royal Randwick on the L2 Randwick Line or Kensington on the L3 Kingsford Line to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
The Royal Randwick stop is located on Alison Road just across from the racecourse. The Kensington stop is located on Anzac Parade, a short walk from the racecourse entry on Ascot Street.
For maps and service frequencies see light rail service information. For light rail service disruption information, check travel alerts or plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
Traffic may be heavier than usual on roads around racecourse. If you have to drive or are using taxis or rideshare, allow additional travel time.
Traffic will be heavier than usual in the area when leaving the event as A-League fans make their way to nearby Allianz Stadium in Moore Park so allow extra travel time. You can find real-time traffic conditions at livetraffic.com
Trams are running between the CBD and South East so pedestrians are reminded to exercise caution around the tram tracks and cross at designated pedestrian crossings.
For the latest traffic information visit Live Traffic NSW or download a real-time traffic app.
There is free parking in the Infield car park on-site, entry via High Street opposite UNSW.
Members Private Reserved Parking is available in the multi-deck car park, entry via Ascot Street. Patrons must display their “members car park permit” at all times.
Visit Live Traffic NSW for updates on real-time traffic conditions.
Special Event Clearways
Special event clearways will be in place at the following locations and times on Saturday 1 April:
- From 4am to 7pm: Darley Rd between Alison Rd and Randwick Gates Centennial Park (western side)
- From 8am to 7pm: Ascot St between Doncaster Ave and the Randwick Racecourse Ascot St Entry (both sides)
- From 3pm to 7pm: High St between UNSW Gates Two and Anzac Pde (southern side)
Clearways are strict no-parking zones, and apply even to local residents or Mobility Scheme Permit holders. Check signs before parking as vehicles left in special event clearways will be towed and a towing fee applies.
Visit Live Traffic NSW for up to date information and real-time traffic conditions.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can check 'accessible services only' in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (check the 'Accessibility' filter).