Skip to main content

Changes to school student concession cards

Around 200,000 school students will join tertiary and TAFE students in using the Transport Concession Entitlement Card.

As part of the move to standardise concession cards, the Transport Concession Entitlement Card is replacing the following cards:

  1. Senior Secondary Student Concession Card (16 years and over) – also issued to Mature Secondary Students (18 years and over), Distance Education Students and Home School Students.
  2. Proof of Age card (when a student under 16 years of age looks older)
  3. Boarders Rail Pass

Students need to carry a concession entitlement card if they’re travelling on a Child/Youth Opal card or a child/concession ticket.

Eligible students aged 16 years or older will be able to use a Transport Concession Entitlement Card as proof of entitlement when using a Child/Youth Opal card within the Opal network, or when travelling on child or concession fares in NSW.

Children aged between 4 to 15 years do not require a proof of entitlement for concession travel. However, if they look more mature, they can get a Transport Concession Entitlement Card to verify to authorised officers that they are under 16 years old.

Valid older style cards can continue to be used. Senior Secondary Student Concession Cards and Proof of Age cards will remain valid until the end of March 2021. Boarder Rail Passes can be used until the expiry date shown on the card.

There are no changes to eligibility for the cards. As with previous years, students can use the cards as soon as they receive them. Schools will start to receive the new cards from mid-October this year.

Find out more