Accessible metro travel
Sydney Metro is a fully accessible railway. If you have limited mobility, you can travel on all metro services.
Every metro station has lifts and there is level access between platforms and trains for people in wheelchairs, scooters, walking frames, prams and strollers. This means no ‘step’ into a carriage.
If you need assistance you can approach staff or use a video help point at a metro station.
Metro stations have wider accessible Opal gates, accessible toilets, level access between platforms and carriages and single-deck carriages. Stations have at least two lifts in addition to kerb ramps and accessible kiss and ride drop-off/pick-up points.
You can look up the accessible facilities at your station before travelling.
Platforms have automated screen doors keep people and objects away from the tracks. Flashing lights and sounding chimes let you know when metro doors are opening and closing.
There are two dedicated wheelchair spaces in every carriage and priority seats close to the doors for people with limited mobility. Multipurpose spaces will accommodate prams, luggage and bikes.
Metro stations have multiple interactive video help points for assistance with questions like gate access and station information. Help points are within easy reach of people who use wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
All metro stations have tactile flooring in lift areas and on platforms, and signs with Braille. Audio announcements, hearing loop services and interactive help points also provide accessible service information. Indicator lighting lets you know when platform screen doors are opening and closing.
There are around 100 CCTV cameras at stations, and 38 on every train, all monitored by a central control centre to ensure safety across the network.
Changing at Epping
- Lifts are located at the Tallawong end of the metro platform
- If you are travelling towards Epping from the north-west, use the last carriage to get off closest to the lift
- If you are travelling towards Epping from Chatswood, use the first carriage to get off closest to the lift
- To transfer safely from Sydney Metro to Sydney Trains services at Epping catch the lift up to platforms 1, 2 or 3, and ask Sydney Trains staff to help you with the rest of your journey.
Changing at Chatswood
- To transfer from Sydney Metro to Sydney Trains services at Chatswood, travel in one of the last metro carriages so you are closest to the accessible Sydney Trains carriages when you arrive at Chatswood Station. Ask a Sydney Trains staff if you need help you with the rest of your journey.