I got on the wrong bus
What might have gone wrong?
If you are on a bus and do no arrive at your destination when expected, this may be because:
- The bus did not stop at your destination
- You missed your intended bus stop
- You took the wrong bus
- The bus deviated from its usual route
What to do
Once you become aware, tell the bus driver you have boarded the wrong bus and ask them to stop at the next stop or press the 'stop' button to get the bus driver to stop at the next stop.
Tell the driver your destination and ask for advice on the best way to get back on track to where you want to go.
If the bus driver can’t help, get off the bus and use your backup plan to help you get back on track.
1. Where am I?
Use the following resources to determine where you are:
Use a trip planning app on your phone to find your current location. Learn more
Ask someone: Transport worker, commuter or passer by
Look at signage near you street signs, signs at the station/bus stop.
2. Where am I Going?
You know your destination from your original trip plan.
Make any adjustments that you need to where you're going given the disruption.
3. How do I get there?
Find your way from point where you are to where you are going by planning a new trip using any of the options below:
Use a trip planning app to plan a new trip from your current location to your desired destination. Learn more
Call the Transport Info Line: Call 131500, select option 5
Ask someone: Ask a transport worker, a person in uniform or passer by for assistance
Call your travel support person
TIP: If you use a digital tool to plan a new trip, you will see real time information about your trip options at the time the time of travel starting from your current location.
To prepare for a smooth and easy journey:
- Make sure you have planned your journey in advance and your plan is in hand. Want to Learn more? Plan your journey
- Arrive at your stop or station at least 5 minutes earlier
- Be prepared to use your Personal backup plan to plan a new route to your destination. Want to learn more? Prepare for the unexpected