Opera in the Domain
The Domain, Art Gallery Road
Large crowds are expected to attend the Opera in the Domain event. Attendees are encouraged to catch public transport to and from the event. If you are planning on driving, allow extra travel time as roads in the area will be busy and delays are expected.
More ways to pay
If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card which displays the contactless payment symbol, or linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and off at Opal card readers on trains, light rail and Sydney Ferries. Keep in mind if you’re travelling by bus you still need to use an Opal card. Standard (peak) Adult Opal fare pricing applies. If you consistently use the same contactless card or linked device to tap on and tap off, you may qualify for Opal daily, weekly and Sunday fare caps but no other Opal benefits apply.
The closest stations to The Domain are Martin Place, St James and Town Hall which are within walking distance.
Trackwork is taking place between 02:00 Saturday 19 January and 02:00 Monday 21 January and may affect how you travel to and from the event.
- City Circle: Trains run in one direction only. You may need to change trains at Central to complete your journey.
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: Buses replace the all-stations trains between Strathfield and Central. Leppington trains run to a changed timetable between Leppington and the City via Granville, every 30 minutes. Trains do not stop at Ashfield.
To note: As of Sunday 30 September, the Epping to Chatswood rail line has temporarily closed for upgrades for around 7 months before Sydney Metro Northwest services begin in 2019. The new high-frequency bus service, Station Link, replaces trains between Epping and Chatswood. For more information on Station Link, visit transportnsw.info.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel so allow plenty of extra travel time and plan ahead.
A number of regular bus services stop along Elizabeth St which is within walking distance of The Domain.
The following routes stop on William St, St Marys Rd and Art Gallery Rd.
- From the Inner West: Routes 504 and 506 from Chiswick to the city via Park St stop on St Marys Rd. Route 441 from Birchgrove to the city stops at the Art Gallery of NSW.
- From the Eastern Suburbs: Route 311 from Millers Point via Potts Point and Darlinghurst makes stops along Bourke St. Routes 324 and 325 from Watsons Bay to Walsh Bay make stops along William St.
Additional services will run to the Eastern and Western suburbs after the concert to help you get home.
- To the East from Elizabeth Street at Martin Place: Route 304 to Rosebery at 23:13 and 23:33. Route 343 to Kingsford at 22:55 and 23:18. Route 373 to Coogee at 22:54 and 23:31 and Route 394 to Little Bay at 22:57 and 23:15
- To the West from Elizabeth Street at Martin Place: Route 500 to Ryde Shops at 23:03 and 23:33. Route 343 to Chatswood on at 22:54 and 23:24.
- From Park St: Route 506 to East Ryde at 23:25.
- From Sussex St: Route 290 to Epping at 23:15, Route 292 to Marsfield at 23:15 and Route 288 to Macquarie Centre at 23:00.
Sydney Ferries services are very popular and may reach capacity, especially on weekends so have a back up plan. Services run regularly to Circular Quay and the wharves are within walking distance of the Domain.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations. Change at Central for a train to St James which is within walking distance of The Domain.
Roads approaching the Domain will be busy. If you are planning on driving, allow additional travel time and expect delays.
Art Gallery Rd will be closed at Hospital Rd to inbound traffic from 8:30pm until 11:30pm. Additional closures will be in place on Hospital Rd, St Marys Rd and Cathedral St from 9.30pm to allow for crowds to safely leave the area.
Some roads around The Domain may close for crowd safety during and after the event. Motorists should avoid driving through the area at the end of the event and consider alternate routes.
Parking in the area is limited and is expected to reach capacity early.
Metered parking is available on Mrs Macquaries Road and Macquarie Street. Undercover parking is also available at the Domain Car Park.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).