Sydney Morning Herald Sun Run 2019
Dee Why to Manly Beach
- 10km run start
- 7km run start
- Events finish
More ways to pay
If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card which displays the contactless payment symbol, or linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and off at Opal card readers on trains, light rail and Sydney Ferries. Keep in mind if you’re travelling by bus you still need to use an Opal card. Standard (peak) Adult Opal fare pricing applies. If you consistently use the same contactless card or linked device to tap on and tap off, you may qualify for Opal daily, weekly and Sunday fare caps but no other Opal benefits apply.
The best stations for connections to Dee Why are Chatswood, North Sydney and Wynyard.
Change for a Sydney Buses or B-Line service towards Dee Why to get to the start line.
Trackwork is taking place between 02:00 Saturday 2 February and 02:00 Monday 4 February and may affect how you travel to the event:
- T1 Western Line: Buses replace trains between St Mary’s, Richmond and Granville.
- T5 Cumberland Line: Buses replace trains between Richmond and Granville.
- T6 Carlingford Line: Buses replace trains between Carlingford and Clyde.
- Blue Mountains Line: Buses replace trains between Penrith and Central.
To note: As of Sunday 30 September, the Epping to Chatswood rail line has temporarily closed for upgrades for around 7 months before Sydney Metro Northwest services begin in 2019. The new high-frequency bus service, Station Link, replaces trains between Epping and Chatswood. For more information on Station Link, visit transportnsw.info.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel to and from events. For the latest information, check trackwork service updates or use the Trip Planner.
The closest bus stop to the start line is at Dee Why shops, Pittwater Road and Howard Avenue. From there, the start line is a 15 minute (1km) walk away.
Additional route services
- B-Line (B1) services run from Wynyard to Dee Why every 15 minutes from 05:40.
- Route 178 and L80 from Wynyard to Dee Why at 05:00, 05:10, 05:20, 05:35 and 06:00
- Route 199 from Warringah Mall to Dee Why at 05:55, 06:15, 06:20, 06:35, 06:45 and 06:55.
- Route 199 from Manly to Dee Why at 05:15, 06:15 and 06:25.
- Route 373 from Coogee to Martin Place at 04:45 and 05:00, from there walk to Wynyard to connect with a B-Line service to Dee Why leaving from Carrington St.
Shuttle bus between Warringah Mall and Dee Why
- From 5.25am to 6.35am shuttle buses will run every 5 minutes from Pittwater Rd at Warringah Mall to Dee Why shops.
- From 7.15am to 11.05am return shuttle buses will run every 10 to 15 minutes back to Warringah Mall from Belgrave St in Manly near the finish line.
Some Sydney Buses services will divert from their regular routes and use alternate stops while roads are closed for the event:
- Route 136 services will be diverted between 6am and 11:15am.
- Route 159 services will bypass Dee Why (The Strand / Howard Avenue / Avon Road) between 6am and 11:15am.
- Route 139 services will only run as far as Freshwater between 6am and 11:15am
Sydney Ferries services are very popular and may reach capacity, especially on weekends. Keep this in mind if you’re planning on catching an F1 Manly service.
From Manly, connect with a regular bus service to get to the start line at Dee Why.
Plan your trip and allow plenty of extra travel time or consider the alternate transport options available.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations.
Change at Central to connect with trains to Wynyard then B-Line buses to Dee Why.
For maps and service frequencies see light rail service information.
Road closures will be in place along the event route between 4am and 11am:
- 4am to 9am in Dee Why on sections of Howard Ave, The Strand and Abbott Rd
- Vehicle crossing of The Strand will be maintained under traffic control at Pacific Pde (westbound exit only) until 6.30am.
- 5:30am to 9am in Curl Curl/Freshwater on sections of Griffin Rd and Carrington Pde
- Two-way vehicle crossing of Griffin Rd will be maintained under traffic control at Pitt St until 6.30am.
- 6am to 10am in Queenscliff on sections of Queenscliff Rd, Undercliff Rd and Dalley Rd
- Two-way vehicle crossing of Charles St will be maintained under traffic control at Moore Rd until 6.40am.
- Vehicle crossing of Downing St will be managed under traffic control at Crown Rd (westbound exit only) until 6.45am. Access to Cameron Ave will be managed via Collingwood St from 6am until 9:30am.
- 4am to 11am in Manly on sections of North & South Steyne, Wentworth St and Raglan St
Residents located where road closures are in place are advised to travel before the closures start or after the roads have re-opened as vehicles are not permitted on roads once they are closed.
Warringah Mall Parking
Westfield Warringah Mall is offering free parking until 1pm on Saturday 2 February for all Sun Run 2019 participants.
From the Mall, shuttle buses will run approximately every 5 minutes from 5:25am leaving from Pittwater Rd at Warringah Mall dropping off at Dee Why shops. Return shuttle buses will run every 10 to 15 minutes from Belgrave St in Manly back to the Mall.
Additional B-Line services and regular STA buses towards Dee Why will also run.
Participants will have until 1pm to get to the Mall and validate their parking at one of the two concierge desks within the mall by showing their race bib.
You will need tap on and off using your Opal card when boarding shuttle buses or regular bus services.
Limited parking is available in the Dee Why and Manly Precinct. The majority of parking spaces in Dee Why and Manly are paid parking lots, metered or limited by time and are expected to be in high demand. Visit Northern Beaches Council - Parking for nearby options.
Special Event Clearways
Special event clearways will also be in place between 04:00 and 09:00 along the course on sections of The Strand, Abbott Rd, Queenscliff Rd and North Steyne. Check signs carefully when parking as vehicles left in clearways will be towed and a fee applies.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).