Great North Road, Five Dock
Important event information
Over 100,000 people are expected to attend the 25th Ferragosto Italian Street Festival in Five Dock from 10am to 4pm. Attendees are encouraged to plan their trip and consider all the available travel options ahead of time.
Great North Road will be closed between Queens Road and Lyons Road from 3am to 11pm and detours will be in place. The best way to get to the festival is by public transport.
The closest train stations to the festival are Burwood and Croydon, where you can change for a regular route bus service towards Five Dock from either station. Alternatively, Great North Road is about a two kilometre walk from Croydon Station.
Remember, it’s mandatory to wear a face mask on public transport and you'll need to use an Opal card or contactless payment card/device. Register your details online at Opal or via the app ahead of time.
If you’re driving, travel with your group and use nearby local parking. Traffic may be heavier than usual on roads approaching the festival and detours will be in place so allow extra travel time. You can find real-time updates on traffic conditions at livetraffic.com.
You can use an Opal card for all modes of public transport in Sydney and surrounding regions, including metro, trains, buses, ferries and light rail.
More ways to pay
If you have a contactless-enabled American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card, or a linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and tapping off at Opal card readers. Available on all public transport, contactless payments are another way to pay on the Opal network. Adult Opal fare pricing applies and you will receive Opal benefits, including daily and weekly fare caps.
Sydney Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains running between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station.
Metro services start from the early morning running every 10 minutes until late.
Please note, buses replace metro services between Tallawong and Chatswood all day Sunday. Catch a replacement bus to Epping Station and change for a train to Burwood to connect with a regular route bus towards Five Dock.
The closest stations to Five Dock are Burwood on The T1 Western Line and T9 Northern Line and Croydon on the T2 Inner West & Leppington Line. From either station, change for a regular route bus service towards Five Dock. Alternatively, Great North Road is approximately two kilometres walk from Croydon Station.
Weekend trackwork is taking place from 2am Saturday 20 August until 2am Monday 22 August and may affect how you travel to and from the event. Plan ahead using the Trip Planner:
- Metro North West Line: From 11.15pm Saturday until 5.30am Sunday, due to trackwork on the T1 North Shore Line, if you are travelling to the City change at Epping, not Chatswood, for a T9 Northern Line train. All day Sunday, buses replace metro between Tallawong and Chatswood.
- T1 North Shore Line: From 11.15pm Saturday until 5.30am Sunday, buses replace trains between Gordon and North Sydney or Wynyard. From stations Gordon to Chatswood, buses run to and from Wynyard. From stations Chatswood to Waverton, buses run to and from North Sydney. Trains run between Berowra and Gordon, and between North Sydney and Penrith or Hornsby via Strathfield, some to a changed timetable.
- T1 Western Line: Richmond trains run between Richmond and Leppington. Change trains at Parramatta to continue your journey towards the City.
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: Trains run to a changed timetable and stopping pattern between Leppington and the City via Granville and Regents Park.
- T3 Bankstown Line: Buses replace trains between Cabramatta, Lidcombe and Sydenham. Trains run between Leppington, Liverpool and the City via Regents Park, stopping all stations to Lidcombe. Trains also run between Sydenham and the City Circle, stopping at St Peters and Erskineville. Some early morning buses extend to Liverpool.
- T5 Cumberland Line: Trains may run to a changed timetable and stopping pattern. Extra trains run between Richmond and Leppington.
- T7 Olympic Park: Buses replace trains between Olympic Park and Lidcombe.
- T8 Airport & South Line: On Sunday from 9am until 3pm, trains may run to a changed timetable due to trackwork between Revesby and Turrella.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. Trackwork may affect how you travel so allow plenty of extra travel time and plan ahead. For the latest information, check trackwork service updates or use the Trip Planner.
To help you get around the closures on Great North Road, Canada Bay Council will operate a free shuttle bus from around 10am until 5pm, making stops on Harris Road, Lyons Road, Fairlight Street and Ingham Avenue. More details will be available closer to the event.
Regular Bus Routes
A number of regular route services stop within walking distance of the festival on Great North Road:
- Route 406 Hurlstone Park to Five Dock via Ashfield Station
- Route 415 Campsie to Chiswick via Strathfield & Burwood Stations.
- Route 437 City QVB to Five Dock via City West Link
- Route 438 City Martin Place to Abbotsford
- Route 490 Drummoyne to Hurstville
- Route 491 Hurstville to Five Dock via Ashfield Station
- Route 492 Rockdale to Drummoyne via Burwood Station
- Route 502 Cabarita Wharf to Drummoyne
- Route 530 Burwood Station to Chatswood via Victoria Road
Keep in mind buses will be using alternate stops and travelling around Great North Road between Queens Road and Lyons Road.
Buses will be using alternate bus stops and travelling around closures on Great North Road between Queens Road and Lyons Road.
From 3am until 11pm the following bus routes will be affected:
- Route 406 and 437: services in both directions will start and end their trips at Domremy College, First Ave.
- Route 415: services will detour via Harris Rd and Lyons Rd West, missing stops on Garfield St and Great North Rd between Queens Rd and Lyons Rd.
- Routes 438X and 439N: services will detour via Lyons Rd, Ingham Ave and Fairlight St, missing stops on Great North Rd and Ramsay Rd.
- Route 490: services will detour via Fairlight St and Ingham Ave, missing stops on Great North Rd and First Ave.
- Route 491: services in both directions will start and end their trips at Domremy College, First Ave.
- Route 492: services will detour via Fairlight St and Ingham Ave, missing stops on Great North Rd. Temporary stops will be used.
- Route 502: services will continue along on Lyons Rd Westand miss stops on Ramsay Rd and Garfield St.
- Route 530: services will detour via Harris Rd and Lyons Rd West, missing stops on Garfield St and Great North Rd.
The closest wharf to the festival is Abbotsford on the F3 Parramatta River Line. From here, connect with a route 438 bus or walk approximately 2.5km to the festival.
Alternatively, catch one of the many ferry services to Circular Quay the catch a T2 Inner West & Leppington Line train to Croydon or Burwood and connect with a local bus service to the festival.
L1 Dulwich Hill Line
L1 Dulwich Hill line light rail services run every 15 minutes between Central Grand Concourse and Dulwich Hill from 6am to 11pm daily, and until midnight on Fridays. Use the Trip Planner to plan your trip.
Change at Marion for a route 437 or 438 bus towards Five Dock.
L2 Randwick and L3 Kingsford Lines
L2 Randwick light rail services run between Circular Quay and Randwick via Central Station (Chalmers Street) and L3 Kingsford line services run between Circular Quay and Juniors Kingsford via Central Station (Chalmers Street). Services run regularly, plan your trip using Trip Planner.
Change at Central for trains to Burwood to connect with a route bus towards Five Dock.
Traffic will be heavy on roads approaching Five Dock including Parramatta Road, Queens Road, Ramsay Road, Lyons Road and Barnstaple Road as large crowds travel to and from the festival.
Great North Road will be closed between Queens Road and Lyons Road from 3am until 11pm. Sections of surrounding streets will also be closed during this time, including Murralong Avenue.
Motorists will be detoured via Lyons Road, Ingham Avenue, Fairlight Street, Queens Road and Harris Road.
The Kings Road and Waterview Street carparks will be closed to the public from 3am until 11pm on Sunday 21 August 2022. The Waterview Street carpark will only be available to TfNSW Mobility Parking Scheme Permit Holders.
Local street parking and other car parks are limited in the area with road closures and special event clearways in place. Large crowds are expected and roads in the area will be busy so consider catching public transport. If you have to drive, visit Canada Bay Council Parking for car park options.
Special Event Clearways
Special event clearway parking restrictions will be in effect on both sides of Great North Road between Queens Road and Lyons Road, as well as on surrounding streets, from 2am until 11pm.
Clearways are strict no-parking zones, and apply even to local residents or Mobility Scheme Permit holders. Check signs before parking as vehicles left in special event clearways will be towed and a towing fee applies. If your vehicle is towed call 132 701 to find its new location.
Visit Live Traffic NSW for more details on the special event clearways.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).