COVID-19: What you can do
Before you travel
Use our digital tools below to help you plan ahead before you leave.
To help you plan ahead and allow for physical distancing on public transport we have updated the capacity information available.
Real time capacity
To see if you can to maintain physical distancing on board Waratah trains and Opal enabled buses, check:
- on station indicator screens for Waratah trains
- in the Trip Planner results (on this site and the Opal Travel app)
- in third party apps
Estimated capacity in the Trip Planner and Opal Travel App
Estimated capacity information is now available for all metro and train, Opal-enabled bus, ferry and light rail services in the Trip Planner and Opal Travel App to help you plan ahead. Based on previous data, the estimated capacity is used whenever real-time data is unavailable.
If you see:
COVID Safe Travel Notifications on the Opal Travel app provide advanced personalised alerts for physical distancing on trains and Metro, all without having to plan a trip.
The new features allows you to know in advance, plan and see when a service is most likely to have available capacity on board, rather than arriving at the station to find the service is already at full capacity. The notifications will also let you know if your service is running on time or delayed and if it is impacted by a major disruption.
If you have an active Opal Card and have used it to pay for your regular travel over the last 21 days by train or Metro, please download the Opal Travel app to the latest version and subscribe to COVID Safe travel notifications.
How to set it up
If you are eligible, you will be invited to opt in based on your recent travel patterns. The COVID Safe travel notifications banner will display on the home screen allowing you to follow the prompts to set up the notifications.
Once you have successfully set up the notifications, you will receive a notification 30 minutes before each specified departure time. The notification will provide information for your regular train/Metro service, such as predicted capacity on board, and other services.
Follow our advice below to help keep yourself safe when travelling on public transport.
It is mandatory to wear a face mask on public transport in the Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas. Fines will apply.
Children aged 12 and under, are exempt but are encouraged to wear masks where practicable. Please ensure you are wearing a face mask when going on the concourse, at bus/ coach stops, beyond station gates and travelling on our services.
In order to slow the spread of COVID-19, you should continue to take personal responsibility regarding your travel plans and follow all NSW Health advice. This includes not travelling if unwell, practising physical distancing and good hygiene as well as wearing your own mask.
Look for the green dots
You’ll see distinctive green dots on public transport. They are there to show you the safest places to sit and stand.
Physical distancing capacity limits on services means you may be asked to wait for the next service.
School children and those who require assistance, such as those with disability will be given priority access.
More physical distancing tips
- Avoid close contact with other people at stops, stations and on board services
- Avoid close contact with staff at stations, stops, wharves and on board services
- On buses, do not use the Opal reader at the front of the bus and stand behind the red no standing zone
- On light rail, please sit away from the driver's cabin as directed
If you are travelling, we are asking you to follow these safety and hygiene measures to help protect you and everyone else on the transport network:
- Wearing a face mask is mandatory on public transport in the Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast and Wollongong areas.
- Wash your hands regularly to protect yourself, fellow commuters and Transport for NSW staff
- Cover any sneezes or coughs with your inner elbow or with a tissue that is then discarded
- Use hand sanitiser
- Use Opal or contactless payments to pay for your travel
- Maintain physical distancing where possible