Epsom Day - The Everest Carnival
Royal Randwick Racecourse, Randwick
- Gates Open
- First Race
- Last Race
Important travel advice
Large crowds are expected around Randwick Racecourse and Centennial Park precincts on Saturday as race goers and music fans make their way to and from events at the neighbouring venues.
Epsom Day ticketholders are encouraged to plan their trip and consider all the available travel options ahead of time. Light rail services run regularly to Royal Randwick on the L2 Line or to Kensington on the L3 Line, which is within short walking distance of the racecourse.
Race day tickets include travel on public transport.
If you have to drive, there’s on-site at the racecourse or consider using rideshare and taxis instead. Allow extra time as traffic will be heavier than usual on roads around Moore Park, Centennial Park and Randwick Racecourse. You can find real-time updates on traffic conditions at livetraffic.com.
Valid pre-purchased tickets to Spring Carnival Races at Randwick Racecourse between 17 September and 1 November include travel to and from Royal Randwick Racecourse on the following transport services – just show your event ticket to transport staff when boarding:
- Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink services (bounded by Bomaderry, Goulburn, Bathurst, Scone and Dungog stations)
- Sydney Buses
- Sydney Metro North West services.
- Sydney and Newcastle Light Rail services
- Sydney and Newcastle Ferries
Remember to keep your event ticket safe for your return journey or you'll need to use your Opal card or contactless payment method, as you must have a valid ticket when travelling on public transport. Your event ticket is valid on the modes of public transport listed above until 4am the following day.
Note: an additional train station access fee applies for travel to or from Domestic and International Airport stations. The access fee is not covered by your event ticket travel entitlements.
Sydney Metro services are high-frequency, driverless trains running between Tallawong Station and Chatswood Station.
Metro services start from the early morning running every 10 minutes until late. Change at Epping for a train to Central where you can catch a light rail service to Royal Randwick.
The closest station to Royal Randwick Racecourse is Central.
Change at Central for light rail services to Royal Randwick on the L2 Line leaving from Chalmers Street. You can also catch the light rail to Kensington on the L3 Line to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
Weekend trackwork is taking place from 2am Saturday 1 October until 2am Tuesday 4 October and may affect how you travel. Plan ahead using the :
- T1 Western Line: On Saturday from 5.50am until 8.45am, buses replace trains between Richmond and Blacktown. From 8.45am until 11am, buses replace trains between Richmond and Schofields. Trains run between Blacktown or Schofields and the City, some to a changed timetable.
- T2 Inner West & Leppington Line: Homebush trains run between Liverpool and the City via Regents Park, stopping at all stations between Liverpool and Lidcombe, then running to the normal timetable between Homebush and the City. On Saturday from 6:30am until 10:30am, trains run between Homebush and the City only. Leppington trains will not stop at Ashfield.
- T3 Bankstown Line: Buses replace trains between Lidcombe and Sydenham. Trains run between Liverpool and the City via Regents Park, stopping all stations to Lidcombe and the City Circle. Trains also run between Sydenham and the City Circle, stopping at St Peters and Erskineville. On Saturday from 6:30am until 10:30am, trains run between Liverpool and Lidcombe only. Buses continue to replace trains until Sunday 9 October.
- T4 Eastern Suburbs & Illawarra Line: On Saturday from 9.30pm until 2.30am, buses replace trains between Waterfall and Hurstville. Trains run to a changed timetable and make extra stops between Cronulla and Bondi Junction until 11:55pm. From 11.55pm until 2.30am, buses also replace trains between Cronulla and Hurstville.
- T5 Cumberland Line: On Saturday from 5.50am until 8.45am, buses replace trains between Richmond and Blacktown. From 8.45am until 11am, buses replace trains between Richmond and Schofields. Trains run between Blacktown or Schofields and Leppington, some to a changed timetable.
- T8 Airport & South Line: On Monday from 9.40pm until 1.30am, trains start and end at Central. Change trains at Central to continue your journey.
- T9 Northern Line: On Saturday from 6:30am until 10:30am, some trains make an extra stop at Ashfield.
- South Coast Line: From 2.30pm Friday until 12.40am Saturday, buses replace trains between Bomaderry and Dapto. Trains run between Port Kembla, Dapto and Bondi Junction, some to a changed timetable. From 12.40am Saturday until 2am Monday, buses replace trains between Bomaderry and Wollongong. Trains run between Wollongong and Thirroul or Bondi Junction, some to a changed timetable. From 2am Saturday until 2am Tuesday, buses replace trains between Port Kembla and Wollongong. From 9.40pm Saturday until 2.30am Sunday, buses replace trains between Waterfall and Hurstville.
Trackwork is carried out on an ongoing basis to maintain the safety, reliability, and efficiency of the Sydney Trains network. For the latest information, check trackwork and travel alerts or plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
L1 Dulwich Hill Line
L1 Dulwich Hill line light rail services run every 15 minutes between Central Grand Concourse and Dulwich Hill from 6am to 11pm daily, and until midnight on Fridays. Plan your trip using the Trip Planner.
Change at Central to connect with L2 and L3 light rail services leaving from Chalmers Street to Royal Randwick or Kensington to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
L2 Randwick and L3 Kingsford Lines
L2 Randwick light rail services run between Circular Quay and Randwick via Central Station (Chalmers Street) and L3 Kingsford line services run between Circular Quay and Juniors Kingsford via Central Station (Chalmers Street). Services run regularly, plan your trip using Trip Planner.
Catch a light rail service to Royal Randwick on the L2 Randwick Line or Kensington on the L3 Kingsford Line to get within walking distance of the racecourse.
The Royal Randwick stop is located on Alison Road just across from the racecourse. The Kensington stop is located on Anzac Parade, a short walk from the racecourse entry on Ascot Street.
Roads around the racecourse will be busy as large crowds travel to the races and to nearby Centennial Park for a music festival.
Trams are running between the CBD and South East so pedestrians are reminded to exercise caution around the tram tracks and cross at designated pedestrian crossings.
There is free parking in the Infield car park on-site, entry via High Street opposite UNSW.
Members Private Reserved Parking is available in the multi-deck car park, entry via Ascot Street. Patrons must display their “members car park permit” at all times.
Visit Live Traffic NSW for up to date information and real-time traffic conditions.
Special Event Clearways
Special event clearways will be in place at the following times and locations:
- 4am – midnight: Darley Road between Alison Road and Centennial Park round-a-bout (western side)
- 8am – 7pm: Ascot Street between Doncaster Avenue and Randwick Racecourse Ascot Street entry (both sides)
- 3pm – 7pm: High Street between UNSW Gate 2 and Anzac Parade (southern side)
Visit Live Traffic NSW to see the locations of special event clearways.
Accessible parking: Disabled car parking is available in the Infield car park, entry via High Street opposite UNSW. A disabled parking sticker must be prominently displayed in the vehicle at all times.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).