NYE in the Park 2018
Victoria Park, Camperdown
Important event information
Remember, moving around the city on New Year's Eve is different to what you might be used so have some travel options in mind. With thousands of extra transport services, huge crowds and road closures the best way to get to and from New Year's Eve celebrations is by public transport.
Plan your night:
- Detailed service information will be available in the Trip Planner 14 days out from the event. You can also download a real-time travel app to track your service on the night.
- View our Interactive SydNYE road closure map for detailed closure and access information.
- Getting home from the Sydney CBD? Download and print the SydNYE 2018 Getting Home - Sydney CBD flyer (pdf 3.7MB) to take with you on the night to find the nearest transport hubs to your chosen vantage point. Note, be prepared to walk further than normal between vantage points and transport hubs due to closures.
- Getting home from North Sydney? There's also a downloadable SydNYE 2018 Getting Home - North Sydney map (pdf 1.4MB).
- It'll be busy leaving the city, so stay out a little later and leave after 1am if you can to avoid the peak crowds.
- Contactless payment is now available on most transport services so if you're catching a train, light rail or Sydney Ferries service you can tap on and off using your American Express, MasterCard or Visa card, or linked device. Bus customers are reminded they will still need to use their Opal cards.
- Remember to top up your Opal card in advance as queues at Opal top up machines will be long on NYE. Top up online using the Opal Travel app or visit one of 2,100 Opal retailers.
Get real-time updates on transport services, vantage point capacities and road closures at your fingertips by following these Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Event updates: follow the hashtag #SydNYE and @cityofsydney
- Transport updates: follow @BusesInfo, @FerriesInfo and @TrainsInfo
- Road closures and traffic: follow @LiveTrafficSyd
More ways to pay
If you have an American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card which displays the contactless payment symbol, or linked device, you can use it to pay for your travel by tapping on and off at Opal card readers on trains, light rail and Sydney Ferries. Keep in mind if you’re travelling by bus you still need to use an Opal card. Standard (peak) Adult Opal fare pricing applies. If you consistently use the same contactless card or linked device to tap on and tap off, you may qualify for Opal daily, weekly and Sunday fare caps but no other Opal benefits apply.
Summer Holiday timetable
During the summer holidays including Christmas and New Year, Sydney trains, buses, ferries and light rail services will run to a changed timetable. Some services will run to weekend timetables on weekdays and other services, including those to major events, beaches and shopping centres, will run more frequently. Check out all the Summer Holiday timetable details and plan your trip before you travel.
Ferries will stop running on the harbour once the Exclusion Zone comes into effect on New Year's Eve from 20:00. Also, some ferries will stop running in or out of Circular Quay from 17:00.
Sydney Ferries are a great way to get around the city but services will reach capacity on New Year's Eve so allow plenty of extra travel time and consider the alternate public transport options available.
Light rail services run between Central Station and Dulwich Hill with stops at popular CBD and Inner West destinations. Catch a service to Central and change for a train to Redfern or walk to Victoria Park. For maps and service frequencies see Light rail service information.
Significant road closures will be in place throughout the Sydney CBD and Pyrmont on New Year's Eve from 7pm with additional closures from 11pm to get everyone home. The best way to get around the city or to and from Victoria Park is by public transport.
Limited parking is available around Victoria Park. Check City of Sydney for more information.
Special event clearways will be in place on many streets around the city for New Year's eve celebrations. Check signs before parking as vehicles left in special event clearways will be towed and a towing fee applies. Check livetraffic.com for full clearway listings in various council areas.
Accessible trips are shown in the Trip Planner with the wheelchair icon. You can select "accessible services only" in the Options to ensure you only see accessible services. Only trip plans with accessible train platforms, ferry wharves and buses will be presented. See accessible travel or download a transport app (select the "Accessibility" filter).